Thursday, May 25, 2006

Soul Patrol

I have to start by saying I'm not a hard core religious watcher of American Idol. I always watch the preliminary rounds. Just to know I'm not the absolute worst singer on the planet. Maya actually thinks I'm a great singer, but then she's only 4 months old so what does she know? Now Taylor Hicks caught my eye right away. I was happy he got to move on, but I didn't hold out much hope that he make any real impression over all. So as the season progressed I would tune in to the show occasionally and always kept up to date on the internet with who had gone and who had stayed. Imagine my surprise when I saw that week after week Taylor had made it through.

Last night I admit that the finale didn't have my 100% attention. Maya had a particularily rough day and evening. Screaming so loud at one point that my neighbour's dog was sitting at the property line more than a little agitated by Maya's incessant wailing. My neighbour was out watering her gardens at the time and I was certain she was thinking that Maya was undergoing some crude mediaeval torture. Damn nice weather and open windows. She was over briefly last night and commiserated with me over Maya's obvious distress that evening and assured me that she knew nothing unseemly was going on. I should have realized from her "Been There, Done That" T-shirt. I can only figure that Maya's bad mood was entirely gas related since she drifted peacefully off to sleep just around 10 pm after some rather impressive burping and farting. Her Dad should be proud. In between the pacing, jostling, tummy rubbing and back patting that went on during most of the finale I did manage to take notice of the following:

  • What's up with Clay Aiken? I didn't even know this guy was still alive. I have to admit his whole look was a little bit frightening.
  • I was happy to see Carrie Underwood there, fresh from her wins at the ACMA's the night before. Carrie has to be my favourite Idol winner so far, but then I am a country music fan. Oddly enough Kelly Clarkson had been at the ACMA's as well, preforming with Rascall Flatts. One question, what in the hell was she wearing? I don't know who picked out that outfit, but they did her no favours.
  • This one is just a general question to the universe..... who names twins Bucky and Rocky? I mean, that's just not right. Even more horrifying, I'm not sure who got the worse name.
  • I never once came down with McPheever. I guess that vaccine really does work.
  • I really loved it when the girls were all wearing those red dresses. Just one question, could they have gotten them larger necklaces? Actually I think those fall out of the category of necklaces and are inching into the breastplate arena. Is the stylist for this show a former Vegas showgirl? And why was Paula wearing a prom dress?
  • I loved that they sang I Had The Time of My Life as a closer. Dirty Dancing is one of my favourite movies... Nobody puts Baby in a corner.... wait I'm getting off topic. Too bad Katherine kept distracting me by waving the train of her dress around. It reminded me of playing with the parachute in gym class.
  • Where did they find Meatloaf? And why didn't they sing Paradise by The Dashboard Light?
  • I love when American Idol shows you what celebrities are in the audience. It's amazing how many of them have Idol fever. But I have to admit I was shocked. SHOCKED people, when David Hasselhoff popped up on my screen last night after Taylor had been crowned The American Idol. And. He. Was. Crying. Yes folks, "The Hoff" was crying. I wonder why? Maybe he's concerned that Taylor will challenge him for the top spot on the German music scene because, you know, Germans love David Hasselhoff.


Congratulations Taylor! Rock on Soul Patrol!

Seacrest out!

No comments: