Sunday, September 24, 2006

The County Fair

Well back to the fair again last night. We met Robin, Tim and the girls there. Too bad it was such stinkin miserable weather. It pretty much rained in some form or the other the entire time we were there. Maya had a bottle when we got there and then slept through the heavier rain. So we go off lucky there.

The volunteer free ride night is a wonderful gift to the hard working fair volunteers and their families, but it can be a bit of a detrement especially if you have young kids. Abby's not quite old enough to understand the free Thursday night/not free Friday night concept. So that led to a ton of few outbursts of anger.

For the bargain basement price of $5 your child gets the pleasure of fishing for plastic dolphins in a tepid pool of unknown murky liquid and is rewarded with a medium prize small plastic inflatable dinosaur that squeaks when you squeeze it's head. Apparently it's also a rule that once you start squeezing "Spyro"" head you just can't stop. Ever.

Judging by the clusters of teenagers everywhere I attempted to steer the stroller I was about 20 years to old to be attending the fair. These same clusters of teenagers sent a icy stab of fear through my heart as the reality that I will one day have two teenaged girls suddenly hit me. One day it will be Abby and Maya standing in a gaggle blocking the path of strollers and preschoolers alike. Sighing and rolling their eyes if you politely request they move aside so you can pass through. Whipping out cell phones and sending text messages about the how lame/cool/bitchy someone is. Breaking away from their girl friends to fling themselves into the arms of the "love of their life", a lanky boy with too big pants, wallet on a chain and an ipod in his pocket. That was the House of Horror for me this year folks. And poor Robin, she has this times four.

Let's admit it, once you're older than say the aforementioned teenagers the only reason you go to the fair is for the food. Am I right? Or is that just me? Yes folks there was mini donuts, hot chocolate (thanks Robin for both), fresh cut fries and of course no fair is complete with a gyro. No wasting time with candy apples, caramel corn and cotton candy for me. And not only did I have one last night, but I made Michael promise to bring me another one home tonight after his volunteer shift. Yummers!!

All of that and more brings my fair experience to an end for another year. You can check out more fair pictures at flickr.

No comments: