Saturday, February 03, 2007

On this date

I saw this meme floating around the internet somewhere and today seemed a good a day as any for it.

How to play: Go to Wikipedia and search on your birthday date (month and day, no year). From the results list three interesting events, two births and one death.

My birthday: April 21st.

Events:

* 1918 - World War 1 German fighter ace Manfred von Richthofen, known as the Red Baron, is shot down and killed over Vaux sur Somme in France.

* 1956 - Elvis Presley's song The Heartbreak Hotel becomes the King's first song to reach the top of Cash Box magazine music charts.

* 1989 - Tiananmen Square Protests of 1989: in Beijing, around 100,000 students gather in Tiananmen Square to commemorate the late Chines reform leader Hu Yaobang.

Births:

* 1926 - Queen Elizabeth II, current Queen of England

* 1951 - Tony Danza, from Who's the Boss? fame

Deaths:

* 1996 - Jimmy the Greek, American bookie and sports broadcaster

6 comments:

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

I'm so jealous you have even a tenuous link with the Red Baron *and* Tony Danza. Wow. I'm going to have to do this too one of these days....

Anonymous said...

sognatrice
but what about the queen!!!!!

Anonymous said...

my birthday Dec 4
1959-A monkey returns to Earth safely, after being launched 55 miles high into outer space by the United States space program

1956-During a Carl Perkins recording session also involving Jerry Lee Lewis and Johnny Cash at Sun Records in Memphis, Tennessee, Elvis Presley visits the studio and jams with Perkins and Lewis extensively with the tape recorders rolling. (Cash reportedly participates briefly in the jam before leaving the studio with his wife and daughter.) The four men become known as the Million Dollar Quartet, and the complete tape from this legendary session is eventually released on compact disc (CD) in 1987.
1980--The rock group Led Zeppelin formally announces its breakup.
births
1840--Crazy Horse, Oglala Sioux chief (d. 1877)
1895--Fung Yu-lan, Chinese philosopher (d. 1990)
deaths
1334--Pope John XXII (b. 1249)

Shan said...

I know that Tony Danza thing is pretty cool isn't it? I can't wait to read yours. I know you enjoy a good meme as much as I do.

Now the Queen thing, maybe that explains my interest in the Monarchy. Although I must admit it's waned some what over the years.

Thanks for sharing Linta, very interesting. I wasn't aware that Cash, Perkins, Lewis and the King had played together.

Anonymous said...

sept 7
events
1251 BC - A solar eclipse on this date might mark the birth of legendary Heracles at Thebes, Greece

1915 - Former cartoonist Johnny Gruelle is given a patent for his Raggedy Ann doll.

1927 - The first fully electronic television system is achieved by Philo Taylor Farnsworth.

births
1533 - Queen Elizabeth I of England (d. 1603)

# 1860 - Grandma Moses, American painter (d. 1961)

1939 - Donnie Allison, American race car driver

deaths

1548 - Catherine Parr, final wife of Henry VIII of England (born c. 1512)

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Shan, sorry to hijack the comments, but I have two further things to say, especially to "just me":

(1) I'm American, so that may at least partially explain why the whole monarchy thing is quite lost on me. I find it kinda creepy, if I'm being perfectly honest;

(2) My fiance's bday is December 4, and he's going to be psyched about the monkey in space thing :)