Wednesday, June 13, 2007

what's cooking wednesday - bbq corn on the cob

I have to come right out and tell you I am not a big fan of corn on the cob. I may have one ear per season and I'm good. Mike on the other hand loves it. Now usually I shuck it, throw in a really big pot of boiling water and try to keep it from tasting like cardboard bubble gum. This summer I am going to try and add new barbecue recipes to the rotation. We do use our barbecue a fair bit, but there is only so many hamburgs and hot dogs a girl can take.

BBQ grilled corn


BBQ Corn on the Cob

1 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp oregano
1 pinch onion powder
cayenne pepper to taste
garlic powder to taste
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup butter, softened
6 ears of corn, husked & cleaned

Preheat grill to medium high heat.

In a medium bowl mix the spices with the butter. Apply mixture to each ear of corn and wrap cob in aluminum foil.


Place corn on grill and cook 20 - 30 minutes.

Recipes Notes: Well this corn wasn't nearly as flavourful as the recipe would have you believe. I would go a bit heavier on the garlic and the cayenne next time around. One thing Mike and I both noticed almost immediatley is grilled corn comes off the cob a gazillion times easier than the more traditional boiled corn. When I cooked the corn I wrapped it twice in aluminum foil and it went on the bbq for 25 minutes on the top rack . 3.5/5

Now Mike is a corn purist, so I did a couple of ears for him. For those I just opened the husks, cleaned out the silk, closed the husks back up, wrapped them in tinfoil and we were off to the races.

Grilled corn


Still hungry?

It's a lonely WCW this week with only Karen and I, here participating, but Karen has cookies! So woohoo, more for us!

What's Cooking Wednesday was born out of a desire to get out of that "what's for dinner" rut. Playing is easy, wait until Wednesday rolls around and post a recipe that has been tried and tested by you. Pictures are always appreciated, but not necessary to play. Then drop me an email or leave a comment letting me know you played so I can add you to the WCW weekly master list.

1 comment:

darlene said...

looks sooo yummy!...