Wednesday, July 11, 2007

what's cooking wednesday - chocolate bar trifle

Over the years I have made a lot of food. Tested a lot of recipes. Contributed to countless potlucks, barbecues, holiday and birthday dinners. In that time Robin has stolen a lot of my recipes enjoyed many things and has politely requested the recipe. Some of those recipes have now shifted from being my thing, to being her thing. Now she's the one that shows up with the Mexican pizza and the taco salad. So that makes this recipe special because this is one I stole from her. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's mine now, but it is a good one to have in the recipe folder, especially during barbecue season.

Chocolate Bar Trifle


Chocolate Bar Trifle

3 pkgs chocolate fudge pudding (4 serving size)
5 cups milk
2 bags two bite brownies
1 lrg tub cool whip
1 sm tub cool whip
4 Crispy Crunch chocolate bars, crushed up

1. Mix 3 packages of pudding with 5 cups of milk.

2. Place half the pudding in the bottom of a large glass bowl.

3. Break up brownies and use half to cover the pudding.

4. Top with half the Cool Whip and two of the chocolate bars .

5. Repeat layers one more time.

Recipe Notes: I make a few small changes when making this, I use fat free pudding and light cool whip for starters. Also I don't normally buy the two bite brownies that are available at most grocery stores these days, but rather I buy a brownie mix and bake it up. Works out cheaper in the end. Just once I'd like to try changing up the chocolate bars, but Mike, for some reason, is 100% against that idea. So Crispy Crunch it remains (Butterfinger for my friends across the border). This is actually a really great recipe for the beginner chef in your house if you prepared the necessary components and let them assemble it. This makes a huge amount, so it is perfect for those summer gatherings.

Mike's score 5/5
Shan's score 5/5
Abby's score ~ yum!

Still hungry?

bruschetta al pomodora at bleeding espresso...
toasted penne with gorgonzola at piacere


What is What's Cooking Wednesday and how can I play?

What's Cooking Wednesday was born out of a desire to get out of that "what's for dinner" rut. Playing is easy, wait until Wednesday rolls around and post a recipe that has been tried and tested by you. Pictures are always appreciated, but not necessary to play. Then drop me an email or leave a link in the comments letting me know you played so I can add you to the WCW weekly master list. And don't forget to link back here, the home of What's Cooking Wednesday.

1 comment:

qualcosa di bello said...

Chocolate + easy recipe = AWESOME!!!! Thanks Shan!