Wednesday, August 15, 2007

what's cooking wednesday - broccoli sunshine salad

Since we got the new barbecue and the weather has been somewhat on the humid side I've been cooking as much as I can outside. Plus that vein in Mike's head starts to throb if I so much as think of turning on the stove and/or oven this time of the year. This salad is perfect because it requires no heat of any kind (if you use the Ready Crisp bacon).

Broccoli Salad


Broccoli Sunshine Salad

1/2 cup mayo or Miracle Whip
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
3 cups broccoli flowerets (1/2 pound)
1/3 cup raisins
1/4 cup shredded cheddar
4 slices bacon, crisply cooked and crumbled
2 tbsp chopped red onion

Mix mayo, sugar and vinegar in a large bowl.

Add remaining ingredients, toss until evenly coated. Store covered in the refrigerator.

Recipe Notes: Well this is far from a new recipe. It's been around the block a time or two and there are many variations. I've had it with grapes, sunflower seeds, cauliflower to name a few. This is the way I like it best though. It's a great salad because you can toss it together early and not worry about it wilting or the noodles sucking up the dressing as happens with other summer time salads. One change I do make is to up the amount cheese, onion and bacon. Oh and I usually double the dressing, of course I'm often making a large salad because wherever I take it, it goes fast.

Hope you aren't still hungry because it's a lonely What's Cooking Wednesday this week. So, fill up on salad.


What is What's Cooking Wednesday and how can I play?

What's Cooking Wednesday was born out of a desire to get out of that "what's for dinner" rut. Playing is easy, wait until Wednesday rolls around and post a recipe that has been tried and tested by you. Pictures are always appreciated, but not necessary to play. Then drop me an email or leave a link in the comments letting me know you played so I can add you to the WCW weekly master list. And don't forget to link back here, the home of What's Cooking Wednesday.

1 comment:

qualcosa di bello said...

hi shan! sorry i missed the post this week - one girl off to college last weekend & the other started on the 15th. it's a very busy week with our company too. for a HUGE break D. just whisked me off to my favorite US city for the weekend...see you next week after my R & R. love, qualcosa di bello :)