Thursday, February 07, 2008

keeping me honest

I contemplated not even writing anything about this, but we have so few secrets from each other already I thought what the hell. As you may know we are trying to eat healthier around here and it just so happens that one of the benefits of that is shedding a few pounds. To encourage us and to help keep us on track we've been going for weekly weigh ins on Thursdays. I'm not sure if this will become a regular bloggable feature, but I like the idea of having to check in with the world at large. Let you know what kind of a week it's been. Share any good healthy eating tips. Like Source Dessert yogurts, that have zero fat, only 35 calories per serving and taste nothing like yogurt at all. The girls even love them, although I'm not loving having to share the lemon meringue ones with Abby. Maya, however, is welcome to all the chocolate covered cherry ones she can eat.

This week was a good week. I lost 3.5 pounds. Which to be honest was really only 2.5 pounds because when I weighed in last week I had just begun my "lady days" and was carrying an extra pound of bloat. That brings my grand total lost to 7 pounds.

Knitting has been a huge part of this endeavour. My constant scarf/hat making keeps my hands busy during that snacky TV portion of the evening. Not that I don't indulge now and then because, I know, I cannot live in a world without Doritoes and KitKat bars. Now I buy the 100 calorie single chocolate bars and simply take a small portion of chips out of the bag and leave the rest in the cupboard. Really, though I'd much rather knit. I think that's because I'm knitting with a purpose. Most of my knitting I donate to Wesley Urban Ministries which also helps alleviate some of the guilt I have about watching trashy reality shows. Once I knit up all the yarn I have on hand I am planning on looking into doing some knitting for the NICU at the hospital where the girls spent their first days.

In other food related news, tonight I made tacos and was fully prepared to make something else for the girls. I asked Abby if she wanted a cheese roll up (grated cheese on a wrap), which she declined. At that point I was figuring I'd have to make her something else entirely when she asked Mike to make her a taco. Under her direction Mike put taco meat and cheese on a wrap and then she ate it. Ate it and enjoyed it. There was much cheering and high fiving at the dinner table tonight my friend. Hey my kid tried a new food and I was going to positively reinforce the crap out of it. We won't discuss the fact she topped her taco with ketchup and mustard because I don't care. If ketchup and mustard are going to make her try new foods I'll buy it in 45 gallon drums.

Operation Deceptively Delicious is going well. There have been some major victories, like the undetected cauliflower in their favourite oatmeal chocolate chip muffins. There have been some snags as well. It's a but of a learning curve to adjust these things to your child's taste. Last night I learned that 1/4 cup of pureed carrots is too much to sneak into Abby's pasta. She ate it, but she kept remarking that the sauce tasted weird, so next go round I try a bit less. I have a great recipe from last week that I'll share with you next Wednesday. This one has been my favourite so far and was a huge hit with the girls. How's that for a teaser?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

high five to you!!

roxie said...

Yayyy for you! And sneaking veggies into the regular food - how sly you are! What a good mom.

Grandma said...

Wow. Great weight loss. I am jealous. I am in a holding pattern.

Karen said...

Way to go, Shan! I'm inspired by you (now that needs to translate into some kind of action on my part).

Shan said...

Mom - thanks.

Roxie - thanks Roxie. I'm really pleased with the sneaky vegetables as well.

Grandma - ahh the holding pattern, it sucks.

Karen - thanks, that is the hard part. I haven't yet found time for any real exercise beyond chasing the kids around, literally. We like to play tag in the house. We've been known to hold dance offs in the kitchen as well.

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Woohoo! And consider me teased for WCW....