Monday, July 13, 2009

she did it

Ever since Maya turned three her personality has been changing and evolving like crazy. I find it odd and interesting. Odd in that I see her in a way I never did before. Interesting for the same reason. It's like all of the sudden she realizes she can function in this world without me. And I'm surprised how quickly she's taken to this new outlook on life.

Tonight we went out for dinner with Grandma Linda and Papa - to an actual restaurant. There was a time when we would never have attempted such a thing with Maya. She just couldn't sit still long enough and I couldn't eat with her in my lap. All the strange people made her cranky and meltdowns were guaranteed. It just wasn't worth it, but she's better now with people and out in public so we went.

Part way through dinner she spilled her glass of milk, that was close to being finished anyway. She was upset for a moment because she got some on her pants. She does not like wet/dirty clothes. What surprised me though was while I was cleaning up the mess she hopped off her chair and went -- empty cup in hand -- to our waitress, who was serving another table at the time, handed her the empty cup and asked for another one.

All on her own.

She talked to a stranger.

This is the kid who wouldn't talk to Papa or allow Papa to talk to her for ages.

I have spent lots of time wondering how Maya will manage at school. Now instead of worrying, I'm excited and looking forward to seeing how she'll manage to adventure.

3 comments:

Leah said...

they sure do have a knack at surprising the heck out of us, don't they?!?! I, too, wonder how Connor will manage in school. Mostly because his immediate reaction to not getting his way is to throw himself down and scream about it, or to LOUDLY argue with you until he's blue in the face. He has no issues with talking to people or being away from me. He's just VERY stubborn and set in his ways! I see principal visits in my future... *grin*

congrats to Maya for being such a big girl about the spilled milk!

Betsy Hart said...

That is awesome!!!!!!

Goofball said...

that's cool :)