Tuesday, August 18, 2009

what's cooking wednesday - fluffy white frosting

So do you think you could handle one more frosting recipe? Because you know how I get with things. Remember the soup? How many pots of soup did I make over the winter? Lots and lots. I blame all the frosting on the new eight month old mixer that's sitting on my counter top. I want Michael and my family to know they're getting their money's worth. Also, taking this whole baking thing pro rolls around in the back of my head a lot. Before I get there though I need lots and lots of practice.

This is the frosting of my childhood. I could dig up countless pictures out of our albums of various kids sitting in front of cakes frosting with this very recipe.

fluffy white frosting


Fluffy White Frosting

3 tbsp meringue powder
1/2 cup cold water
2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup water

Beat meringue powder and 1/2 cup cold water until stiff, about 4 minutes. Mix sugar, corn syrup and water in a 2 qt saucepan. Bring to a boil and cool slightly. Slowly add syrup to the meringue mixture on high for 4 minutes until stiff and glossy.

Recipe: The kitchen aid mixer is perfect for this recipe. I whipped some up while helping Abby with her summer homework. When you are adding the syrup to the whipped meringue powder, pour it into the bowl while the mixer is on in a thin steady stream. This was lovely with Grandma Linda's white on white birthday cake.




What is What's Cooking Wednesday and how can I play?

What's cooking Wednesday was born out of a desire to get out of that what's for dinner rut. Playing is easy, on Wednesday post a recipe that has been tried and tested by you and then pop over here and add your name to the Mr. Linky. When entering your name also add the name of the recipe in brackets and make sure you link to your What's Cooking Wednesday post and not just your blog's front page. *All front page links will be deleted!* Don't make me be a jerk. And don't forget to link back here, the home of What's Cooking Wednesday.

So for example I would write Shan (Speedy Chicken Stir Fry) in the name section. For the URL section I would post this: http://shanrev.blogspot.com/2007/10/whats-cooking-wednesday-speedy-chicken.html

I'll let you in on a little secret, my WCW recipes are almost never made on a Wednesday. So feel free to cook and photograph whenever you have time and join us posting on Wednesday

7 comments:

Jen said...

Shan, this is the frosting of my dreams! I do not like buttercream. There, I've said it. Too heavy. I am so trying this! Thanks for the fab recipe. Also, I loved so many of your soups - I LIKE your obsessions!

Kara @ His, Hers and Ours said...

Oh wow! This looks so fluffy and light! I will be trying this SOON!

Thanks, and I'm so glad to know you do this on Wednesday's!

Goofball said...

Personally I don't like frosting at all (partially a Belgian thing, partially I don't like sweets in general)....

but wow, what a gorgeous picture!

Unknown said...

Oh my, that looks absolutely amazing.

Mommy Project said...

Really...
that picture is making my mouth water!!!!

Leah said...

looks YUMMY!

Shan said...

Jen - thanks. I kind of like them myself. I hope you like it.

Kara - Hope you enjoy it. Thanks for visiting.

Goofball - thanks. I really like ti myself. I was thinking about framing some of my food pictures for the kitchen.

City Girl - Thanks.

MP - you should have come over for a piece. A tiny piece.

Leah - it was!