I fully admit that I enjoy TV. I do have a lot of "must see" shows, but I balance the guilt I feel about that fact by knitting scarves for a local shelter while I'm watching. Everybody wins that way. Know what else I love? Owning my favourite TV shows on dvd. It's not even so much about the extras, although they are nice and can be a lot of fun to see the behind the scenes stuff. For the record, the Seinfeld discs have the best extras. Future TV shows should be taking a page from that book. No, what I truly love about watching a series on dvd is you get a much better appreciation for a great show when you can watch it all at once, rather than waiting a week at a time. I tend to notice all the little things I missed the first time around, specifically little story threads that can arc over several episodes I tend not to notice.
So for this week's Friday High Five - The shows I most want to own on dvd. These are shows I think will only get better with concentrated viewing.
1. The Office. Sure I have seasons 1 and 2, but they all the way up to season 6 now. Having watched the first two seasons at once I have to say I've found lots I didn't catch the first time around with secondary characters like Creed, Meredith and Toby.
2. Modern Family. Okay so I know this show hasn't even completed it's first season yet, but boy I can't wait for it to be out on dvd. This show is in the same vein as The Office, meaning it's wickedly funny. The family in the show is deliciously dysfunctional, but still they manage to be likeable. I say Cam is my favourite character and then I remember Phil. And Mitch. And Manny, who could be the funniest kid in sitcom history.
3. Sex and the City. I show I like, but have watched only sporadically, so there's lots of episodes I haven't seen. I have the first three seasons, but am waiting until I acquire the rest before diving in. Once I start watching, I want to be able to watch the whole series.
4. Grey's Anantomy. Another show I got in late on. I'd like to go back to the beginning and see how the story got to where it is now. I have season 1 so far.
5. Glee. And yet another show I wish I'd watched from the beginning. I'm not sure why I didn't. I do love a good musical. Can't wait for new episodes to be on.
What are some of your favourite shows?
Oh and don't forget there's still time to enter my cookie giveaway.