Monday, July 26, 2010

hell of a way to start a monday

Abby appeared at my side of the bed some time before 5am. (Funny how it's always Mommy's side they go to isn't it?) She said she needed to get into bed with me because her night light had burnt out. Since I was not getting up before my alarm went off to rummage around in the junk drawer looking for a new bulb, I let her climb in.

A few minutes later she sat up clutching her stomach and said those words no parent likes to hear... especially when they are supposed to be sleeping -- I think I'm going to be sick.

So she took off running for the bathroom and by the time I caught up with her she was sitting happily on the "throne". I'm okay, she chirped, I just had to poop.

Okay, let's go back to bed then, I suggested, hoping to catch another 30 minutes of zzzz's.

Could I just stay up and watch TV?

Sure, but I'm going to go back to bed, 'kay? -- Have I mentioned before what an awesome age 8 is? So I went back to bed and she watched some TV and coloured until we came back down a little while later. I quizzed her and she said she felt fine. Her stomach wasn't upset, she was ready to go to the sitter's. So out the door we go.

We are no more than a kilometre down the road when she shouts -- I'm going to be sick!

I can tell she means it (Mom's just know, don't we) and I yell at Mike to pull over now!

Nobody wants to be cleaning puke out of the back of the van... again. Abby's sitting on the side with the power sliding door, which is locked because Mike is just stopped on the side of the road, with the van in gear. So Abby is hitting her button to open the door, while holding a hand over her mouth. I'm hitting my button to open her door and we're both canceling out Mike who's trying to unlock the door so it will actually open. Somehow we managed to work together and get the door open and Abby upchucked in the ditch instead of the back of my seat.

Then it was turn around and head back home. Pukey clothes in the wash. Sick girl on the couch with pillow, blanket and puke bowl. I'm not sure what it was exactly, but it didn't last long. She was back to herself by dinner time, thank God. And Maya, so far, seems to have missed it.

5 comments:

WIDNEY WOMAN said...

I was panicking with you during the door unlocking part. Glad she made it to the ditch. Sorry she wasn't feeling well!!!!

Pam said...

Too rough a start! May you all escape the plague, or whatever it was. Sending uneventful, happy week vibes to you and your crew.

Julie said...

man, the pukies have been a frequent visitor to your house this year. i hope this little one was more of a bad eating thing than a virus and that the plague doesn't take over the house. fingers and toes crossed.

Norma-ann said...

Jamie threw up yesterday, too! Wth? She was fine before and after! So weird.

I'm glad the puke made it's way to the ditch.

Bibliomama said...

Agh! No puke in the van! Puke in the van not allowed!