Wednesday, March 02, 2011

what's cooking wednesday - biscuits

I have been on a quest to find a really great biscuit recipe. I have been perusing the high rated recipes over at allrecipes.com and plan on testing some out to find a good one. This was attempt number one. The reason for this quest... well I bought some buttermilk for another recipe and I didn't want it going to waste.

Biscuits


  • 4 cups self-rising flour
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 2/3 cup shortening
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease two baking sheets.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar and baking powder; stir well. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Add 2 cups buttermilk and mix just to moisten.
  3. Roll out dough to 1 inch thick and cut into biscuits. Place biscuits on prepared baking sheets; brush tops with remaining 1/4 cup buttermilk.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until golden.

This is the link to the original recipe so you can read the reviews if you wish.

Recipe Notes: This were just okay. Nothing incredible. Nothing really to make me want to keep the recipe hanging around. So I guess the search continues.




What is What's Cooking Wednesday and how can I play?

What's cooking Wednesday was born out of a desire to get out of that what's for dinner rut. Playing is easy, on Wednesday post a recipe that has been tried and tested by you and then pop over here and add your name to the Mr. Linky. When entering your name also add the name of the recipe in brackets and make sure you link to your What's Cooking Wednesday post and not just your blog's front page.

*All front page links will be deleted!*
*Posts that aren't linked back will be deleted*
*Posts that don't include some sort of a recipe will be deleted*

Don't make me be a jerk. And don't forget to link back here, the home of What's Cooking Wednesday.

So for example I would write Shan (Speedy Chicken Stir Fry) in the name section. For the URL section I would post this: http://shanrev.blogspot.com/2007/10/whats-cooking-wednesday-speedy-chicken.html

I'll let you in on a little secret, my WCW recipes are almost never made on a Wednesday. So feel free to cook and photograph whenever you have time and join us posting on Wednesday

1 comment:

Bibliomama said...

I hate that you can't buy buttermilk in less than a litre -- I ALWAYS end up throwing some down the sink.

I love biscuits.