Saturday, September 24, 2011

friday high five - the fair

So we're in the midst of the busiest time of the year for us... it's fair time! Mike has been an active volunteer at the fair since he was a kid. As for me, volunteering at the fair is a relatively new thing. My big contribution used to be keeping things running at home while Mike was busy with fair business and then.... well I'm not quite sure how it happened, but somehow I ended up with my finger in a lot of pies. Ever wonder what it is I do around that place? I thought so......

and that brings us to this week's Friday High Five - What the heck does Shanny do at the fair.

1. I tweet. Yep. And facebook. If you happen to follow the fair on either, that's me behind the keyboard. Well I do have two other very cool facebook chicks that can post as well, but the lion share of the postings come from me. This weekend I am live tweeting the fair, posting pictures via facebook and doing some fun... find me here... giveaways.

2. My great fair passion is the school fair. I love love love dealing with the kid's artwork. I know what a thrill it is for them and also how proud the parents are. So I hang artwork after it's been judged, making sure the display boards aren't too crowded and that the kids can easily find their names.

3. I record results on judging day. The judges come in and... well they judge. Then we come along and record who scored first, second, third and staple on the appropriate ribbons.

4. Once all that recording is done I take the sheets home and sit down in front of my computer for weeks on end and figure out how much each kid needs to get paid. Then, of course, I pay them..... with much help from some friends. It's a very large project.

5. Pitch in when I can, where I can. Last night I accompanied Mike to the opening ceremonies to snap some pictures. I hung out with Papa and kept and eye on the school fair building. Went patrolling the perimeter with ML looking for fence jumpers (Papa caught 8 himself tonight).

Mike thinks it's pretty funny that I'm carrying a bigger workload than he is as President. It's been his favourite story so far this weekend.

No comments: