Monday, September 21, 2020

new horizons

 Early on in the pandemic my daughters pooled their money and bought themselves a Nintendo Switch. I was mostly uninterested in the purchase and then they introduced me to Animal Crossing New Horizons and I fell in love. I mean it is mostly a pointless, but totally adorable game where you build yourself a life on this island that you share with other villagers who happen to be animals. Us three ladies share our island with an alligator, koala bear, kangaroo, goat, tiger, bear and a cub.My personal favourite is Walt the grumpy kangaroo, but Sherb the goat is universally loved by all.

I'm not going to lie, I barely know what I am doing or even if I am playing effectively, but I think that speaks to the game's popularity. You can play it in whatever manner you'd like. A lot of people enjoy the stress relief or feeling of zen that comes along with playing and I can certainly see that.  You can fish or catch bugs or design gardens or houses and create whatever kind of world you would like. Bored? Tear it all down and build it again, but different. Personally I leave the building/designing to the kids and spend my time on the island as the completely indulgent Mom I am not in real life. I buy the kids outrageous outfits or gifts from the island shops and leave them as surprises on the front steps of their island homes. Some of them are totally dialed in, like the Royalty inspired flouncy top for my Hamilton obsessed daughter or completely ridiculous like a full drum set I shook out of a tree. Which will make sense if you've ever played. It was a decent score!

1 comment:

Lynn said...

I've heard about how fun and addictive this game is! I'll have to try it if I can scam 10 minute on my kid's switch :).