Friday, October 02, 2020

this week

 What I saw:

Netflix vs The World - This documentary is about how Netflix came to be the power house it is today. It was really interesting to see how they went from a mail order dvd rental business to winning Oscars and along the way putting Blockbusters, shockingly, out of business. My takeaway from this, I am always interested in people who go all in, in this case, for their business. I mean it is very much an against all odds story and yet here we all are, watching Netflix like it is our job. I watched this on Amazon Prime Video.

Guys, I was on holidays this week and my husband has jumped on board my one documentary a week plan. So we were over achievers.

The Social Dilemma - There has been a lot of buzz about this documentary that really explains the potential evils of social media. I wasn't too surprised with what was presented in the documentary in terms of the detriments to your mental well being, but it didn't make me desire to dump social media all together. My takeaway - I think I have a decent relationship with social media, but it reminded me to be diligent about how I use it and the amount of time I give to it. I watched this on Netflix.

RBG - This seemed timely to watch with Ruth Bader Ginsburg's recent passing. It was something I had planned to watch for some time, but never actually got around to it. My takeaway - I was blown away by the very important work she did, right out of the gate. I was impressed by her quiet, yet steely style and more than a little bit inspired by it. I can see why she has become such a hero to this generation, it is rightly deserved. I watched this on Crave

What I heard:

I spent a good chunk of this week painting the trim in our hallway, so that meant lots of podcasting this week as well.

Armchair Expert - 7 Days. I have been listening to Dax Shepard's podcast in chronological order, but when I got the notification of this new episode I knew I would be listening to it as soon as I could. Just by the title I knew it had to do with his sobriety. My takeaway - I appreciated and was in awe of his candor in telling this story. He seemed to be brutally honest with his own shortcomings. 

Armchair Expert - Debby Ryan, the star of Jessie and Suite Life on Deck. It was interesting to hear a bit about the behind the scenes of the Disney Channel tv show machine. My takeaway - To be honest I wasn't expecting too much from this interview, but there was some interesting discussions regarding the quality of life in Germany compared to the US and also the transformation from child star to adult.

Armchair Expert - Sam Harris, a philosopher, neuroscientist and host of the Making Sense podcast. Guys, this episode set my brain on fire. I want to go back and listen to it again to fully absorb the entire conversation. Dax issued a warning at the beginning that folks may find this episode very divisive, but I have to admit that I, personally, did not find that to be true. Much of the conversation centered on the idea that we seem to have a very difficult time listening to opposing opinions in a way that allows for meaningful conversation. My takeaway - I found myself nodding a lot during this listen. I do think one of my stronger attributes is my ability to listen to differing opinions without feeling as if they are an attack and at the very least understanding that people aren't all one thing. I would recommend this to anyone who's every gotten sucked into a facebook comment war. I could literally talk about this episode for ages!

What I Follow:

GoCleanCo on instagram. This has completely changed the way I clean my house. Her before and afters are inspiring. I get ridiculously excited when she posts a story... welcome to your 40's am I right? I do recommend purchasing her downloadable cleaning guide, but thanks to her I can never find cleaning rags at Costco or Barkeepers Friend at Canadian Tire. Hat tip to my girls mlh and kif for the reco!

2 comments:

Lynn said...

I loved that Jesse show! My daughters and I still constantly sing the theme song around the house. I wish I had more time to listen to podcasts, but I'll put the Debby Ryan one on the list for our next long car ride.

Shan said...

One daughter has remote learning phys ed this semester, which requires 30 minutes of activity of her choosing daily. She settled on walks, I agreed to accompany her if we would listen to podcasts 50% of the time. I love podcasts and wanted to find a way to get more listening in.