Saturday, July 17, 2021

28/52 - What Drives Us

 

What Drives Us (2021) - By the title I thought this was going to be a documentary about motivation/being the best version of yourself and I was way off. It's actually a fun little look back to the beginning days of being in a band and touring around the country from place to place in a fan. Directed by Dave Grohl from the Foo Fighters it brings together archive footage and present day interview of some of the greats, Ringo Starr, Steven Tyler, the Edge and a pit stop with a young and currently van touring (with their dad!). 

Again, this wasn't a hard hitting expose, but a fun nostalgic look back at the good old days by some greats. I read a review online that remarked that Grohl is romanticizing his time touring in a van and that seems reasonable to me. At one point someone goes through the levels of success beginning with van touring, to a bus and then a bus for the band and a separate bus for the crew to everyone band member having their own band and along the way you lose that family dynamic of being all together. I can only imagine that once you get to a U2 level of success there is a lot of separation between band/crew/fans that wasn't present in those early hard luck days of just trying to make it. I think they've earned the right to paint it in a warm light or at least be able to chuckle at the hard bits.

And you know, sometimes hopping into a van packed with gear and your best mates was a desperately needed escape from things that were happening at home, as is discussed by more than one interviewee. I really felt like if nothing else it turned icons into humans. If you're a music fan, it's a warm easy watch, in my opinion.

I watched this on Amazon Prime Video.

No comments: