Saturday, February 18, 2023

Januray 2023 Documentary Round Up

 I think this might be a nicer way to keep track of my documentary watches this year. I mean the flipside is I could just keep writing them in my favourite notebook and be fine with that, But I do really enjoy the conversations this has brought my way, so we'll continue for  now.



9/11: A Day In America (2021) - After watching The Anthrax Attacks documentary my daughter and I had a long discussion about 9/11 and what it was like to watch all of this unfold which then led to this docuseries. It's obviously a very heavy watch and we shed more than a few tears as it follows the days events in up close detail. It was equal parts heart wrenching and inspiring to hear these stories of immense courage and empathy, it really showed the best of humans in the absolute worst circumstance. This series was painstakingly put together in partnership with the 9/11 Memorial & Museum and it provides a thorough examination of the day. It was extremely eye opening to us both. We watched this on Disney+

 

The Volcano: Rescue From Whakaari (2022) - This one was recommended to us over the holiday season as one to watch. It's an examination of the volcanic eruption on White Island in 2019 told by survivors and bystanders and the footage they were able to record that day. This doc is very much focused on the actual eruption and what was happening to the people involved both before and immediately after. It's quite trauma heavy and a bit too light on insights into warning signs, responsibility and the eco-tourism business, in my personal opinion, but I also recognize the value in simply hearing the stories of the survivors. We watched this on Netflix



The Days Sports Stood Still (2021) - This one had caught my interest a while ago. Being a little removed now from the early days of the pandemic it is interesting to look back (with the benefit of hindsight) at how things were handled. This actually did not end of being the documentary I thought it was. It is very basketball heavy, but the also touch on other sports. It takes a bit of a left turn as social justice becomes a bigger part of the conversation, but it seems like you completely abandon the stories of some of the people interviewed earlier in the doc. Honestly after watching this I would have been interested in seeing a Chris Paul documentary, another one about sports and social justice and another about sports during the pandemic. We watched this on Crave.



Spielberg (2017) - Fair warning, this is a long one at almost 2 1/2 hours devoted to the life and work of Steven Spielberg. I actually wasn't expecting to enjoy this one as much as I did for some strange reason. I really appreciated the extensive interviews with Spielberg himself. If you're a fan of him or his movies, it's a solid watch..... full disclosure I watched this one in three sittings. I watched in on Crave.

That's a wrap for January friends!

No comments: