Sunday, April 23, 2006

The First Annual Girl's Night Out Awards

Well it's been a pretty great weekend around here. We had dinner at Wendy's Friday night for my birthday, Abby's choice. Then it was a whirlwind shopping spree at WalMart to pick up such necessities as diapers, wipes and milk. Then it was on to home to put the kids to bed. After 10 pm the lovely Melody showed up. That's a great weekend right there. I could just stop typing now. Mel visiting = great weekend. Of course that would make for a pretty boring post and to be honest the weekend was way more fun than that. It was too bad Dave couldn't come with Mel, but he was off at a writing conference for the weekend improving his sentence structure, learning how to avoid plot holes and practicing his autograph for the book signing tour. It least that's what I assume they do at writing conferences.

Saturday Abby was quite excited to have Auntie Mel in the house. Abby was up before Mel so she worked very hard at keeping her Daddy quiet so Auntie Mel could sleep. Some time around mid morning Mel and I dragged ourselves from our beds and met for some lounging on the couch.... in our jammies of course. We then wasted the day away watching my Oprah DVD's and crying. Can you think of a better way for sisters to spend the day? If you can let me know, because I can't think of a single one. By 4:30 we had managed to shower and dress. I know, I was shocked too. Mel had gotten me a gift card for Chapters, so we set out on a book buying shopping spree. When we pulled into the parking lot we offered up a little prayer that the clearance bin Gods would be kind to us. They must have been listening because I walked out of there with 4 books at a mere fraction of their original cover price.

After that we were off to meet Mom and head out for Girl's Night. Is there anything more fun than girl's night? I was so excited I changed my clothes three times trying to find just the right outfit. After collecting Mom and Linda we headed out to the bar to scope out the..... oops did I say the bar? No that's all wrong, we didn't go to a bar. Nope we were out to have some good old fashioned clean fun at the bowling alley. We hooked up with Yoles there and rented a lane for an hour.

In honour of Girl's Night I'd like to hand out some Awards:

Most Improved Player:
Well it turns out we all pretty much suck at 10 pin bowling....... but not as bad as Mom. In her previous attempt at this sport of kings she bowled at 39. Last night she rolled a 38. Oh wait this award is for most improved player. Crap. Well it's too late now, the commemorative plaque has already been engraved. There's no way they'll give me a refund for that.

Most Sportsman Like
This one has to go to Yoles. I mean the girl showed up injured. Injured people, but after a inspirational talk from my Mom she decided to play. Well some might call it inspirational, others might call it browbeating. To-may-toe. To-mau-toe. I have to say even injured she was a force to be reckoned with.

The I Swear I'm Not Hustling You Award
Well that award goes to Linda. I admit I fell for her coy... I'm just going to watch I don't know how to bowl spiel just like everybody else. Then she told us that she'd just cheer us on, but she didn't have any pom poms with her. Another one of Mom's inspirational chats and she was good to play too. She sucked us in with her hokey-aw-shucks routine so easily that we all slapped $50 down on the game. After a few well timed gutter balls she was quickly kicking all our asses. I think her final score was about 285. The cackling as she collected our money was a nice touch. Just to show there were no hard feelings she sprung for some nachoes after the game.

The I Could Of Gone Pro If I Didn't Have a Sweet Executive Assistant Job Award
Straight up, no question, that one goes to Mel. The girl was totally channelling the Dude. (If you haven't seen the Big Lebowski I have to ask... Why the hell not?). The woman has her own ball, in it's own pleather carrying case! She's hardcore. Now Mel, admitedly, spends hours a week watching the PBA and really who among us doesn't. Mel, however, really pays attention to the form and her form was dead on. The great thing was she didn't even realize she was doing it.

Now the most important award of the night.... The MVP
Awarded to, who else........... ME! It was my night! Who the hell did you think I was going to give it to? Apparently nobody else got the memo. You were supposed to let me win people. Hello!

After bowling we headed out for copious quantities of Mexican food. Great news, it was $5 margarita night so I had two huge stinking glasses of lemonade. I know I know, party animal. After stuffing myself full of more chimichangas, beans and rice than any human should eat at one sitting Mel and I, wisely, split some deep fried ice cream. It was mucho yummy, but I mucho didn't need to eat it. Oh and what was even more fun was the wait staff brought it to me with a sparkler in it and a huge red sombero for me to wear while they chanted their trademarked happy birthday ditty. Well you do only turn 20 once. Nobody would confess to telling the waitress it was my birthday so I have no choice but to slowly exact my revenge on each and every one of them. Don't get too comfortable ladies.

Now I can't close without some honourable mentions. First of all, Grandma Linda, who had to bow out unexpectedly. Thank goodness we had a replacement Linda waiting in the wings. I was sorry she had to miss it, but I do understand and, of course, sympathize. We'll have to set aside some time to do something fun soon to make up for it.

And then there was Robin. Who decided to leave the country rather than go out for girl's night. She's lucky she sent me flowers. It made the sting of rejection a little easier to take.

2006-04-22

Seriously though, this is the prettiest spring bouquet I have ever received. FYI Robin has now given me more flowers in a decade than Mike has in 17 years. Maybe I should have married her.


And there you have it folks, the weekend extravaganza that was my birthday. Thanks to all who participated. Hugs to all that wanted to, but couldn't. It was great fun ladies. Special thanks to Mel for suggesting it. Even if it didn't end up being what she had suggested in the first place.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Haha, you're funny. :) By the way, blogspot has now been denied access to work, so my readership will sadly decrease a bit - but I'll still be around to see how your world is going!