Friday, June 16, 2006

I Wasn't Going To Do It

You know I really wasn't planning on writing about Matt Laurer's interview with Britney Spears for a couple of reasons. One; I think she's picked on enough and two; I'm not exactly a fan (and yet, perversely, I still watched the interview). Quick question, was anyone else mesmerized by her cleavage? I mean that was a lot of cleavage. More than I would say was necessary, but who am I to judge. Every time she leaned forward I was afraid certain one of the girls was going to bust loose. No pun intended. And should we talk about the skirt? I think it was a skirt. Or maybe it was just a wide belt. See I had no intention of discussing any of this and then she just started to irritate me. So irritated was I that I actually took notes so I wouldn't forget a single exasperating minute. So what pissed me off first? Well I'll tell ya. Matt (btw dress shoes without socks is so 15 years ago) and Brit we're discussing K-Fed and their relationship. 'Nuff said there. I'm certainly not going to beat a dead horse. We've all seen the tabloids.

The second she started discussing her son, it was all over for me. Now I'm the first to admit that I am far from the perfect parent. I have made mistakes. I have left the house with out diapers, a bottle, a sucky, change of clothes, only once all at the same time. I have cut the end of my baby's finger off. I didn't realize Maya had thrush until her entire mouth was coated with it. I could go on and on. The thing is I'm willing to admit that i have made mistakes with my kids. Granted I have had the luxury of making these mistakes in relative peace. As of yet the papparazzi haven't started trailing me. Obviously the interview touched on the 3 major baby dramas that were all over the papers, magazines, TV and internet.

Issue #1 Driving down the Pacific Coast Highway with her son in her lap.

Wow, where to even start. I mean there's the obvious. Why was the child not in his car seat? Well according to Britney she was being hounded by photographers and felt like their safety had been threatened. I can totally respect that. Sure I can imagine you'd want to make a quick getaway. Now the photographs show her driving away while a man sits next to her in the passenger seat using a cell phone. Why wasn't this man driving the vehicle while Britney was in the back seat strapping her child into his car seat? Even if he was pulling away while she did it. That seems to me to be a better solution to the problem. When discussing the baby in the lap issue Britney said hey I used to do that with my Dad sit on his lap and drive, we're country. Yeah, and I'm sure you did it on a seldom used back road not the Pacific Coast Highway.

Issue #2 Her son slumped forward in his car seat.

Well from the photograph little Sean P was almost bent in half. That's how far forward he had slumped. Now the issue, for me, isn't about forward or rear facing seats. I think the issue whether or no they're properly strapped in. From the photograph I don't see how he could have been.

Issue #3 Her slip while carrying Sean

Well accidents can happen. I remembering missing the bottom step while carrying a baby Abby. I still have no idea how I kept the two of us upright. Mike once slipped on wet tile and literally threw Abby about 4 feet. So I understand that wasn't her fault. Moments after that somebody snapped a picture of her sitting in a restaurant in tears. In a restaurant. Because she was hungry. Here she was sitting in this interview saying what a horrible experience it was. How she was so upset and yet they kept snapping pictures. Umm why didn't you just go back to the hotel? I'm sure they have room service. Why on earth would you stop at a restaurant? And sit in front of a plate glass window? It defies logic.

If just once I had heard her say, you know what that was a bad decision on my part I think I'd have a little more respect for her.

No comments: