Wednesday, September 13, 2006

And She's Back

Well this afternoon Abby was returned to us, safe and sound from her first day of school. When the bus pulled up to our stop I could see her little face pressed against the glass looking for me. When our eyes met a huge grin broke out across her face and she sat in her seat waving. And she sat in her seat grinning out the window. And she sat in her seat until I started to think she might not get off the bus at all. Finally she appeared at the door looking so grown up with her Strawberry Shortcake backpack. She ran to Mike first for a big hug. Then she almost pushed over the Grandma of our neighbour's kid in her rush to collect her hug from me too.

Intially she didn't have too much to say about how her first day of school went, but she did skip the whole way home so I took that as a good sign. When we hit the back door she called out, "What's for dinner and can I watch cartoons?" I set her up with a snack and Papa, Mike and I tried to get some information about her day. Apparently a lot of what goes on in j/k is classified information. Our questions we're answered with a lot of "I don't knows".

Me: Who did you sit with on the bus?
Abby: I don't know.
Me: Who's in your class?
Abby: I don't know.
Me: Didn't you make any new friends today?
Abby: I don't know.
Me: What are the names of the kids on your class?
Abby: I don't know. They have a toilet there.

So yeah. After she'd been home about an hour or so she let it slip that she had gone to the library. Then Granny called and Abby was happy to talk to her until Granny asked if she had played with Play-doh at school. Abby answered yes and then hung up on her.

I was pleasantly surprised to see she ate the majority of her lunch. She didn't eat any of the cheese, but then she had told me that morning she didn't want any cheese. I had sent two apple sauces, two juice boxes, keilbasa, crackers, cheese, granola bar, tiny pancakes and two mini muffins. She only brought home the cheese, granola bar, one muffin and one apple sauce. We also got her first school art home. It was her hand print in paint, cut into a puzzle in a bag with a poem about the kissing hand and the first day of school. There was also homework. For me. In Abby's backpack is a ziploc bag which is the j/k version of the pony express. This is how I will communicate with her teacher. Today the bag was full of school newsletters, a reminder about picture day, a parent volunteer sign up sheet, an order form for the school bbq and an early closure procedure form. This will be the third time I have filled out a form for the school in regards to who can pick Abby up from school also how to get in touch with Mike or I. I had to fill one out when we enrolled her and last week I filled another one out when we went to Abby's social history meeting. I was busy filling out forms while Abby was being tested and I would have much rather watched the testing. I can't wait to have to fill them out yet again when I go back to work since much of the information will be changing.

So how was my day? Pretty good. I got a lot of organizational stuff done around here. I started cleaning out the filing cabinets. I have been watching a lot of those organizational shoes that are so popular right now and I just realized how cluttered the filing cabinets are and how much each time it takes me to put things in or take things out. I also cleaned out Abby's dresser of any summer items that she won't be needed anymore this year. Abby seemed to have abit of a growth spurt this summer so a lot of her pants are too short so they all got packed away for Maya. Then I tidied up Maya's bedroom/diaper storage area. Then I made dinner for us and the neighbours because that's my pitiful way of getting them to like me she's been extremely good to me and feeding her and her family is the very least I can do. My biggest treat of the day was sitting down to feed Maya and being able to watch whatever I wanted on TV (The Office-UK version on DVD Utter perfection. You have to see it). There was no Dora today. No Backyardigans. No Go Diego Go. No Totally Spies. No Scooby Doo. No DVD's of endless Pingu shorts. I could really get used to this.

No comments: