Wednesday, September 13, 2006

She's Gone

2006-09-13 008


Well that's it. After an entire summer of waiting Abby is officially a student of the public school system. I still can't understand how it's possible that I have a child in school, but I'm sure my Mom can't understand how she has a child that has a child in school. Our first morning out of the gate was a little trying. Abby's not used to having to eat breakfast, get dressed or have her hair done by a deadline. I only managed to get a couple of mouthfuls of cereal into her so I'm sure by their first nutrion break she's going to be very very hungry. That's another problem we're going to have to work on. Abby's school is on a "balanced day", so instead of having a traditional lunch break like I used to when I was in school she has two nutrition breaks. One around 11 am and the other around 2 pm. It's going to be some trial and error to figure out what exactly to send in her lunch bag. Anybody else out there on a balanced day? What do you send?

2006-09-13 010


There was a bit of a sprinkle this morning when we left for the bus stop. Well actually it was just barely misting, but that was enough for Abby to pull out the umbrella and hood. Can't be too prepared.

2006-09-13 015


How does Maya feel about Abby going to school? It's hard to say.

2006-09-13 018


Abby was quite excited when she saw that the bus was coming. When it pulled up to our stop she had a brief moment when she hestitated. Then she gave me a kiss and off she went without a backwards look.

2006-09-13 019


Seriously, the bus driver had to stop her so Mike could snap this picture.

Then she was gone. Rolled off to school on her big yellow bus. Yes I admit I got a tiny bit misty. Had a lump in my throat, but I got through it. I just had to concentrate really hard on the inconsequential things around me. Then it was over. It was fine. I was good. Now it's 10 in the morning and I feel a little like vomitting. But then Maya's napping so there's nothing really to occupy my focus.

So that's the story so far. I'll update again after school.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Aww, I got all teary reading this post. I remember what it was like for me too.

Just wait till Maya is gone too, it will all really hit you then.

I bawled like a baby.

Shan said...

Maya in school too. Ack, I don't even want to think about it.