Sunday, December 10, 2006

Despite (with recipes)

What better excuse than Christmas to invite your friends over to eat way too much, laugh way too hard and perhaps imbibe in a beverage or two? Last night seemed like the perfect night to do just that. I love having a party. I enjoy the planning, the organizing and the anticipation of the end result. Sometimes, though, even the best laid plans.... well you know.

Did you know that the burner for a fondue pot burns hot. I mean really hot. Like will burn your highly anticipated (by Michael) chocolate fondue in minutes if you aren't careful. And we weren't careful. Luckily the burnt fondue tasted a lot like toasted marshmallows so we kept it. Thank God for friends like Robin who showed up with replacement ingredients for a fresh batch which we managed not to burn, until much later in the evening. Word of advice; a tea light would be the right application here.

Did you know that a can of frozen grapefruit juice looks remarkable like a can of frozen lemonade? Especially if you're not paying attention. I had grand plans of making a tangy Citrus Punch for the kids and the designated drivers. I have made this punch many many times with great success and many requests for the recipe.

Citrus Punch

1 can frozen lemonade
1 can frozen limeade
1 can frozen orange pineapple juice (or straight orange juice)
3 cups cold water
1 litre of Sprite/7up type beverage

Substituting grapefruit juice for the lemonade is, and I can't stress this point enough, NOT recommended. I don't think anybody got past one sip of this pucker-rific punch. Although it was fun to let the kids find out how awful it was on their own. Word of advice; take a minute to read labels in the grocery store.

Somehow despite the punch and fondue disasters it was a very nice evening, but that was probably because Robin showed up with these:

2006-12-10 013


Chocolate Baileys Shooters

1 package chocolate pudding
1 cup milk
1 cup Baileys

Mix ingredients together. Pour into shooter cups. Allow to set up in the fridge.

2006-12-10 008


These are our kids. These are our kids on sugar. These are our kids up many hours past their bedtime.

Thanks to Yoles, Jack, Allison, Robin, Tim and clan for coming.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, those darn recipes... I feel for you, nothing like a terrible disaster at a christmas dinner. That's why I have raclette with my friends! Raclette is actually a close sibling of fondue, but the cheese fondue, not the chocolate fondue. You have this thing called raclette grill on your table (much like having a fondue pot there) and everybody gets a little pan to make their own recipe. You only provide the raw ingredients, what they do with it is up to your guests. Since I started having these raclette dinners everybody simply loved them. (Read more by following the provided links above)

Oh, and at the end I sometimes have a chocolate fondue as well, because I can place a pot on top of the raclette and adjust the heat to fairly low... yum!

Shan said...

My Mom and I were just looking at raclettes when we were Christmas shopping the other day. I have been very tempted to buy one. Thanks for the links I'm going to check them out.

Merry said...

Shan,

On your punch recipe....the cans of frozen lemonade, limade, etc, they're all concentrate right? I wasn't sure b/c it seemed like it might be a bit strong since there's not much other liquid being added. Just wanted to make sure.

Merry

Shan said...

Yes Merry the frozen juice is concentrate. I don't find it to be strong at all, if it's made properly of course. If you were to find it a bit strong for your liking you could always add some water and/or pop to cut it down a bit.

Anonymous said...

With havin so much content and articles do you ever run into any problems of plagorism or copyright violation?
My website has a lot of completely unique content I've either written myself or outsourced but it seems a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my agreement. Do you know any solutions to help stop content from being stolen? I'd truly appreciate it.
My homepage :: juice machine Parts