Monday, December 11, 2006

What's Cooking Wednesday - Special Edition - Caramel Squares

Okay so I wrote of my love for a decadent shortbread caramel square that I had recently. I did manage to acquire the recipe and just this past weekend attempted to make them myself.

2006-12-10 004


Caramel Squares

Base:
1 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups flour

Mix as shortbread. Pat into 9X13 pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes.

Filling:
1 cup butter
6 tbsp corn syrup
1 cup brown sugar
1 tin Eagle Brand milk

Bring to boil, continue cooking, stirring all the time on medium, heat for 6 minutes. Filling to cover base immediately when it comes from the oven. Cool, totally, best overnight.

Topping:
1 square unsweetened chocolate
1 square semi-sweet chocolate
1 tbsp butter

Melt ingredients together. Spread very thin over caramel.

Recipe Notes: These turned out great. Tasted just like the ones we'd stuffed ourselves with at the anniversary party. I was nervous about the base since I've never made shortbread before and have heard that it can be tricky. Luck must have been on my side because it turned out just fine. These in a Christmas tin would make an excellent gift for the paper boy/girl, bus driver, teacher etc.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh for the love of....

Yikes, those lool deadly.

Were they as good as you remembered?

I must attempt them. YUMMY.

Hmm for some reason blogger won't let me sign in.

It's Julie anyway...

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

These look delicious! I'm not going to go into the myriad of problems I'd face if I wanted to make them, but for now, I'll file away the recipe for a future vacation in America and enjoy the pic ;)

Shan said...

Julie, yes they were just as good. You should give them a try. Let me know how you like them.

Michelle, no caramel squares in Italy either? I don't know how you do it :)