Friday, December 22, 2006

Friday Favourites - Christmas Ornaments

I think I have pretty unique Christmas trees. None of those plain jane glass balls and tinsel for me. For years my Mom has been buying me those fancy ass Hallmark ornaments. So on my tree is Homer, Marge, Bart and Lisa Simpson, Looney Tunes characters, Gone With the Wind and Disney characters (heavy on the Cinderella) . Now that Abby has come along we've added Dora and her entourage, Strawberry Shortcake, Winnie the Pooh and My Little Pony. If you take a second to notice the miniature Tonka toys and the Earnhardt paraphernalia you'd know that Michael wasn't let out either. We have lots of ornaments that celebrate special moments in our life like being pregnant, Abby's first Christmas, Maya's first Christmas, getting married and so on. Yep, our tree has a big story to tell.

But which one is my favourite. I mean if I was forced to choose one, which would it be. I've thought about it long and hard. So many of them are so pretty, so many are filled with special meaning it's hard to say. Going on aesthetics only I think I'd pick the Barbies.

2006-12-22 014


Every year my Mom has bought me the Hallmark Holiday Barbie ornament. I am the proud owner of the entire collection. I think they look so pretty on the tree in their elaborate ball gowns. It reminds me of being a little girl and how much I adored playing with my Barbies. The one pictured isn't necessarily my favourite (it's hard to pick one), although she is quite pretty. I picked her because she is last year's model. I have a rule that any 2006 ornaments don't make it on to the tree until 2007. I don't know why that's a rule, but it is and yes I realize I'm weird.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rules are made to be broken!!!!!

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Barbie sure is pretty! All my "real" ornaments are in a box in my mom's basement in the States. I'm working on it. Of course right now I have the tiniest tree imaginable, so it'd actually be quite depressing to have all the ones that mean something have to sit on the sidelines anyway. I kinda like your "wait till next year" rule. Let's them enjoy their last Christmas off before they get to work ;)

Shan said...

We'll see Mom, we'll see.

Michelle, next to my Mom's your tree is the smallest one I've seen. I would hate to have all my favourite ornaments with no where to put them all. Which would be the exact reason we have two trees this year. I've collected way too much stuff for only one.