Sunday, February 11, 2007

Happy Birthday Darlene

2007-02-10 009


Last night I had the pleasure of attending my friend Darlene's 40th birthday party. Actually it was a joint birthday party for her and her Dad, who was celebrating his 75th. Since we had babysitter issues I went as Nancy's date while Mike held down the fort with the kids. Saturday night was the kind of night I love. I am very fortunate that I get to work with friends and as much fun as we can have at work it's always a great time to have fun outside of work. Especially if Kathy's there. And especially if she's drinking. There's your entertainment, enjoy! For the record, she did not disappoint. Nancy was in excellent form herself, at one point throwing her hat in the ring and declaring herself the father of Anna Nicole's baby. Which was funny, but no where near as funny as Kathy asking us about K- os, which as any slightly hip person will tell you is a Canadian rapper and is pronounced chaos, not kay- ohs. We'll be laughing about that one for a long time.

2007-02-10 014


Now Darlene's birthday is actually on Wednesday, Valentine's Day (which was also supposed to be Maya's due date), but since I'm posting pictures from her party now I thought it was a good enough time as any to let you in on the top 40 reasons I love Darlene.

2007-02-10 016


1. She's funny. Oh so funny.
2. She's loyal.
3. She likes the same TV shows I do.
4. She lets me vent.
5. I let her vent.
6. She's an animal lover.
7. She was willing to entrust one of her kitties to me.
8. She wasn't at all offended in the end when we weren't able to take her.
9. Actually she was happier that Sugar ended up staying.
10. She always slips a KitKat bar in with my gift.
11. She slipped me KitKat bars when I was pregnant.
12. She calls me Shammon.
13. She thinks my kids are cute.
14. She hates that Mike uses my MSN.
15. She's trustworthy.
16. She thinks I'm trustworthy.
17. She likes when I feature her in my MSN tagline. Right now it says Happy Birthday to my Darlene!
18. The DVD I made impressed her.
19. She gives a good hug.
20. We've cried with each other many many times.
21. Her, me and a cardboard box scared the life out of Kaffy.
22. She loves my Mom.
23. She can appreciate complex family dynamics.
24. She knows what the problem areas are in my life and asks how they are.
25. She's got my back.
26.I'm glad she's on my side cause I'd hate to go against her.
27. She's strong willed.
28. And yet she's sensitive.
29. She has amazing hair.
30. She takes great care of her parents.
31. She has a pretty great husband.
32. She has a lot of style.
33. She loves a good bargain as much as I do.
34. I've always really liked her hand writing.
35. She and some red food colouring really scared the life out of Kaffy.
36. Her and I keep the Kaffy nickname going.
37. She likes country music, I like country music.
38. She loves to take pictures.
39. She likes to see my pictures.
40. I'm lucky I get to call her my friend.

Check out the photographic evidence here.

3 comments:

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

I think I love Darlene too! And, for the record, when I saw K-os, in my mind I said "kay-ohs" and thought it must be a new cereal. He really should gone "K-oss" if he didn't want such confusion. It's no one's fault but his own.

L Sass said...

I'd add to your list that she looks much, much younger than 40. Wow! We should all be so lucky!

Shan said...

Sognatrice: You can't help, but not love her. Very good point, but it actually stands for "knowledge of self".

Sass; No she doesn't at all. She's amazing.