Wednesday, February 14, 2007

What's Cooking Wednesday - Bruschetta Chicken Bake

This is one of Mike's favourite dishes. He asks for it a lot. I don't make it as often as he asks, just to save us from getting sick of it. It's my favourite kind of recipe, super easy, super quick, super yummy.

2007-02-05 015


Bruschetta Chicken Bake

1 can Alymer Accents Italian Stewed Tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pkg Stove Top Stuffing
1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
1 tsp dried basil
1 cup shredded mozzarella

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place tomatoes with liquid in a medium bowl. Add garlic and stuffing mix; sir until just moistened and set aside.

Place chicken in a 9 X 13 pan, sprinkle with basil and cheese. Top with stuffing mixture.

Bake 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

Recipe Notes: There's nothing much I change about this beyond sometimes using cheddar instead of the mozzarella. Another reason I like this recipe is because Abby will eat it. She's just getting to that "picky eater" age. So I'm always excited about things she will eat that are not pizza, hotdogs, peanut butter sandwiches or cheez whiz on toast. Although this week she did try and enjoy peas which greatly upset her pea- hating father.

This week I've had a pint sized helper in the kitchen. Abby is very interested in helping me cook which sometimes means a lot of extra work just to get dinner on the table, but I put up with it since I can see this paying off big dividends in the future. For this particular recipe I really didn't have much for her to do. So while I was trying to figure out a "make work" project for her she promised that she'd take care of the mushrooms for me. It was a nice gesture, but there was one little problem, my recipe didn't call for mushrooms. In a stroke of genius I decided I'd layer them between the chicken and the cheese (great idea by the way, tres yummy). Of course you're all wondering how she was going to take care of the mushrooms. Well I buy the sliced mushrooms and Abby breaks them down into smaller pieces for me.

2007-02-05 013


Did I forget to mention Abby hates mushrooms? Her solution, to break them up with her work gloves on so no "mushroom water" would get on her. She's a genius.

Still hungry?

Check out more What's Cooking Wednesday

Chocolate cake at bleeding espresso

Scalloped potatoes at Virtually There

Sour Creme Pasta at Nose in Ear

Want to join the fun? Post your own recipe, with picture(s) and drop me an email or leave a comment to let me know. Don't forget to link back here.

recipe thanks to Kraft

2 comments:

Julie said...

So who knew? I did the same recipe on Wednesday...seriously. Frikken Hillarious.

I didn't bother to post it since you have the same one, but will be back on for next week...

Shan said...

Oh that is funny Julie!! Well you know what they say about great minds!

It's a great recipe isn't it?