Friday, March 16, 2007

Friday Favourites - Batting 500

It took me just a smidge over two years, but here we are at my 500th post. That averages out to a post every 1.6 days. In the beginning I was somewhat lackadaisical about posting. Writing only when fancy struck me. It was only after Maya was born that I really became consistent about writing everyday. A lot of that stemmed from Maya's hospital stay. It was an easy way to keep a lot of people up to date about Maya and what was going on with her and us. I think it also really helped to write about a horribly scary time in a some what upbeat and positive way. Plus it kept me from screaming. Now ending my day by writing out whatever has been rolling around in my head has become a welcome release. It's a time of the day I really look forward to. A bit of time just for me.

Mike will happily tell you I spend too much time here, writing, reading, commenting, but he doesn't really get the whole blog thing. He'd like me to and has frequently requested that I cut it back to three days a week, but I think we both know that isn't going to happen. He will occasionally read what I've written. Actually he'll often read what I've written Saturday night because Sunday morning finds him here, using my blog as a gateway to the newest PostSecrets. [aside] If you haven't yet made PostSecret your weekly must read you really really should. Really. Trust me. Go check it out. I'll wait. [/aside] And every once in a while he'll mention that he's read something he's found funny. And sometimes I overhear him telling other people about my blog and how great he thinks I write. And he doesn't seem to mind when I write about him even if it can sometimes be a bit on the mocking-although-humourous-and-yet-always-written-with-love side Which I love him for. So even if he doesn't get it, he gets me and really what more could I ask for?

Then we have the kids. I know I'm not the first Mommy-blogger to ask the question, "Should I be broadcasting my kids across the internet?" In fact I asked Mike that very question just the other night while I was writing the stinky bum post. Will Abby hate me for this? Will Maya? Obviously I'd like to think no. Or rather I'm writing under the assumption no. I hope both girls some day recognize this as the labour of love it is. I hope one day they appreciate being able to read little snippets of their conversations. Personally I think so many of us blogging Moms struggle with this question because it's a new experience for all of us. I like to think by the time Abby and Maya are older a lot of their peers will be in the same position. So I don't think it will be as big a deal as we might think. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to learn that some of Abby's classmates are Mommy-blog fodder.

So here's to the last 500 posts. It's been an amazing trip. I've "met" a lot of great people, read a lot of wonderful writers, I've been mentioned in an article or two, been in contact with a couple of writers I really respect, inspired a couple of friends to blog and, hopefully, kept my friends and family fan base amused and/or entertained. I wonder what the next 500 will bring.

*ps to "ugly", thanks again. You're the very best. Lynn, you're evil!

8 comments:

Cherie Nelson said...

I finally made it over to your blog! Congrats on post 500! That's great!

We just got back from Disney on Ice! It was a great show... was just a little annoyed how much they were pushing the souvenirs... And $10 for cotton candy or a snow cone (even though they come with some little souvenir) was killing me! Ugh!

Anyway, hope you have a fabulous time at yours tomorrow! Which one are you going to? Ours was the Incredibles go to Disneyland. Very cute!

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Wow! Congratulations! You have me thinking about any potential kids I have and being among peers that have the same "exposed" issue growing up...I'd be surprised if any other southern Italian blogs, so I could have some more thinking to do if/when the time comes (not really, but you know, it's a fleeting consideration) ;)

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Ah, I meant "southern Italian mom"; I'm sure someone must blog down here. Right? Eh. My kids would already be "special" with their American mom, so what's one more oddity?

DaniGirl said...

Hey, what great timing! I can comment not only to congratulate you on your 500th post, but I can congratulate you on being the winner of the Great Rimroller Contest, too! Send me an e-mail with your snail mail address and I'll mail it out to you!!

Shan said...

Cherie - we saw Mickey and Minnie's Magical Adventure. Abby was enthralled. We skipped the cotton candy, but she did come home with a cup. We got off pretty easy. Thanks for stopping by.

M - Good point, everybody has something that sets them apart. Thanks for being such a great commenter.

Dani - thank you and thank you. I'll send you an email.

Anonymous said...

Yahoo!! Looking forward to the next 500!!!!

Merry said...

Congrats on your 500th post! I know exactly what you mean about wondering if you should be blogging about your kids. In my case, I get to take it to the next level...blogging about my step-kids...what if their mother reads it....what if she gets mad....hyperventilating now......
Okay, I'm okay now. See what I mean! I just try not to think about it. :) Thanks for having a great blog that is always my first stop for the day!

Merry

Shan said...

Thanks Mom and don't think I haven't noticed you've really slacked off with the commenting.

Merry - thanks that's a very sweet thing to say. I'm happy to hear you enjoy your visits.

Yes writing about step-kids is a whole other kettle of fish isn't it. You seem to balance it well though.