Saturday, March 17, 2007

It's like a license to print money.

Today Grandma Linda treated Abby and I to that March Break phenomenon that is called Disney on Ice. Or as Abby calls it Dis-uh-ney on Ice, also Mickey on Skates, also Dis-uh-ney Skating and Mickey Ice. The tickets were purchased some time ago, but I've been keeping Abby firmly in the dark ever since so I didn't have to listen to "are we going to Mickey Skating today? Huh? Are we Mom?" seven kabillion times in the weeks preceding the big event. I actually wasn't going to tell her anything at all until we got to the arena, but there was one fatal flaw in the plan, I didn't tell Grandma Linda. So Abby found out just a bit earlier than I had intended her too. She may have been a tad excited.

2007-03-17 017


She may have also smiled like this for the remainder of the day. This is the picture I snapped of Grandma Linda and Abby just before we left the house because when I purchased the tickets it clearly said no photographs, video/audio recording etc. And since I am a goody two shoes well brought up young lady, I left my camera at home. Because, you know if I took it I'd be breaking the rules and well we can't have that now can we? The fact that I was the only parent there
*NOT* taking pictures is something I'm really not ready to talk about yet*.

The show we saw was Mickey and Minnie's Adventure and included condensed versions of The Lion King, 101 Dalmatians, The Little Mermaid, Peter Pan and Lilo and Stitch. Now this was my first time attending Disney on Ice and wow! They really try and hose you do a great job in offering you ample opportunity to purchase a souvenir(s) for your child. Abby walked away the beyond happy new owner of a Disney on Ice program, colouring book and 101 Dalmations mug which she tells me "will be great for hot chocolate *and* water". She also scored a product that brings two of her favourite things together, a spoon and a straw, a spoon straw with Stitch surfing up the side. Now maybe she'll stop using my measuring spoons to drink her hot chocolate with.

In all seriousness it was a really incredible afternoon. The look on Abby's face when the characters hit the ice was nothing short of amazing. She was entranced. Grandma Linda summed it up perfectly when she said "it would have been worth it at twice the price." Today was one of those mothering moments I find overwhelming, in a good way. Seeing her so happy, having so much fun, well it damn near makes me weepy. Thanks Grandma Linda for the gift.

*I just surfed by the Disney on Ice web site and read that they do allow cameras. Now this is information that would have been helpful YESTERDAY! And yet the site where the tickets were purchased said this: NO CAMERAS OR RECORDERS ARE ALLOWED AT THIS EVENT. Yeah, awesome.

No comments: