Saturday, July 21, 2007

it's all about robin

Well it's been exactly one year since my first post in The Birthday Series. A little something I cooked up for my dearest friend Robin. Since we're back here one full year later it would be safe to assume that, once again, we're celebrating Robin's birth. Now it would be real easy for me to throw last year's post up here and just add one more reason I love her, but I think she deserves a little bit better than that, especially since I couldn't be with her today. I largely blame her though because she's been away for like a month (or maybe it just feels like a month) and really what kind of BFF does that?

Robin and I have been friends forever or so it seems. It's hard for me to pinpoint exactly when she arrived in my life. She was actually friends with my Mom first, but I knew a good thing when I saw it and scooped her up. Oh the things we have shared since then. Well I could write a book, but this post will have to suffice.

Good hair cuts and bad ones (okay the bad ones were largely mine). Dye jobs, both home grown and professional. Manis and pedis. Foot rubs, back rubs, head massages. Clothes, but not often because have you seen her? She's like Big Bird and me not so much.

Weddings. Hers, we were just newly friends, but that didn't stop her from getting me to thread endless spools of ribbon through endless miles of lace. To get even with her I had her plan and organize my entire wedding. True story.

Sleepless nights. Late nights on the phone watching TV together. Sleepovers. Movie nights. Close the restaurant nights. (East Side Mario's is our place. I'm not afraid to say it out loud.) Dinners at my house and hers. Barbecues. Parties - birthday, anniversary, surprise, buck & does. Recipes, mine and hers.

Babies. Mine and hers. All girls. Courtney first, for her. Then Nikki and Breanne (my God daughter) before I got my turn. Abby (her God daughter), then Kailey. Their birthdays only three hundred and sixty-four days a part. Finally my turn again with Maya. Whenever possible being there to meet the pink scrunched up face of a newborn who's age could be measured in minutes.

Good times. Laughs, laughs and more laughs, it just comes so easy when we're together. Drinks. Alcoholic drinks. She may have had to pour me into bed one night, but I don't really remember and she has the good grace not to mention it. We're all iced tea and water girls now.

Low times. Crying on each others shoulder. I've seen her cry as much for my loss as her own. Hugs exactly when you need them. Or just showing up with dinner when you're hormonal and have a baby in NICU and a pre-schooler who doesn't understand what's going on and you're making endless trips to the hospital.

I could go on and on, but the bottom line is this. Everyone should have Robin in their life. I am so lucky I have mine.

Love you and happy birthday!

No comments: