Friday, August 24, 2007

heart stopping

Tonight I sat at the patio table with Abby as she circled everything in the Sears Wish Book. And I mean literally everything. As we discussed how awesome it would be if she had a toy vacuum cleaner and a sewing machine Maya was toddling around busying herself with a golf club and an over sized ball. Naturally she became bored with that rather quickly and decided to join us at the table. I knew she was climbing up on the bench beside me, but my attention was on Abby and our conversation which had moved on to how having a Cher Barbie doll was a necessity. Still somewhere in the back of my mind I knew Maya was in trouble. By the time I turned my head to check on her she had fallen backward off the bench, some how missing the deck entirely and landing on the grass which is about as hard as concrete right now.

One look at her and I could tell her teeth and lips had met in a most unfortunate way. Her bottom lip was already swelling and blood was streaming from her mouth. Gasping I snatched her up from the ground and raced for the house while Abby stood on the bench shouting "Maya's bleeding! Maya's bleeding!" for the entire neighbourhood to hear. The three of us burst in to the house scaring the crap out of Mike, what with all the crying and the bleeding.

We managed to get the bleeding to stop in a relatively short amount of time. At which time we could assess the damage, two tooth shaped punctures in her bottom lip. There are also a few red marks on her back which may or may not turn into bruises. Luckily her blanky, a bottle of cold milk and a snuggle with Mommy was all it took to make her little world right again. As for me, I took a little longer to get over the trauma, but then Mommies usually do.

No comments: