Wednesday, August 22, 2007

sad

Please excuse the lack of a What's Cooking Wednesday post, sometimes life just gets in the way. Tonight, instead, my heart aches for Robin and her family. Tonight I weep with them over the shockingly sudden passing of her Mother, Sylvia. Even now, hours after I first heard the news I sit here in disbelief. I have recanted the story several times for various members of my own friends and family, but it hasn't made it anymore real. I would hazard a guess that Robin is feeling much the same thing. That first stage of numbness, the one that carries you through the myriad of decisions that need to be made in the coming days.

I think I met Sylvia for the first time just when Robin and I were on the cusp of becoming friends. Probably during one of the dozens of worker bee parties that we had to get Robin ready for her wedding day. That could very well be my first memory of her. In my kitchen, icing an elaborate "dummy" cake for Robin and Tim's big day. It was such a complicated structure, but she did an amazing job with it. Not that it was surprising, she was quite the talented crafter. Robin's home showcases many of her projects. From boo boo bunnies to toilet paper holders and everything in between. When Robin's girls arrived on the scene so did little projects she had made for them, like hats. There were a lot of "made by Grandma" hats for those girls.

I'm not quite sure when she found the time and energy to work on these projects since a lot of her time was spent with Robin and the girls. With Tim being out of town for work most of the week, Sylvia was there to lend a helping hand. I can't imagine being at Robin's without Sylvia tapping away at the laptop in the kitchen.

I just don't know what else to say. Words fail me in the way they do for most in these circumstances. I pray.... well for so many things, but right now for Robin to have the strength to get through, a lot, but especially these next few days.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will be praying with you.

qualcosa di bello said...

shan...i'm so sorry! may you & robin (& her family) find comfort & peace in the midst of this hard time

Unknown said...

I'm sorry to hear you are sad. I hope you and Robin can find some comfort in the memories.

darlene said...

thinking of you Robin, at this very difficult time,as well as praying for strength for you to get through

Karen said...

Shannon - I'm so sorry for you and your friend Robin. Losing your mum is the worst thing to ever happen to a daughter in my opinion. Unfortunately I know exactly what she is going through. Please pass on my sympathies.

Shan said...

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the kind words.

Julie said...

Hugs Shan,

I know what it is like to watch your best friend lose a parent. Not fun at all...

She is lucky to have you. :)