Wednesday, December 12, 2007

telling it like it is

We spill into the house at the end of the day. My arms are laden with snow pants, hats, mitts, a knapsack, my purse, my bag of work necessities, three packages and the junk mail that I liberated from the mailbox. In a blink the girls have disappeared into the house, heaps of winter out wear on the floor is the only sign they've been here. I quickly begin tidying, hanging up the coats and so on. I pause to toss Abby's incredibly dirty snowsuit in the wash and the chorus begins.

Mom

Mommy

Muh ohm meeeeeeeee

Mom!

The two girls are at the pantry door, alternately chanting my name. They are looking for a snack. I sigh, heavily as I walk past Michael.

"Why is it always Mommy? Don't either one of you know how to say Daddy?"

"Nope....... thank God."

4 comments:

Karen said...

I have said pretty much the same thing so many times. Usually after I've been up from the dinner table for the 1000th time.

Kellan said...

It is the exact same way in my house - if I actually knew the number of times they same "Mom" in a day, it would probably be in the thousands. Take care. Kellan

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry. That last time was me - I call Shan about 15 times a day. Thank goodness you have kids that I can blame it on though :)

Shan said...

Karen I know exactly what you mean. I think they save up the most "Mommies" for dinner time.

I can imagine it would be Kellan.

I didn't think that last one sounded like Abby.