Wednesday, January 16, 2008

hold on a second

About half a dozen of Abby's classmates live on our street. Which is great, lots of playmates that don't require a lot of work to set up playdates for. I'm a very laid back Mom in that regards. I never organize playdates, it's more if my kid is outside and your kid is outside, should they play at my house or your house? Now this works great in our neighbourhood in the summer. In the winter it's a little more problematic, so there are fewer playdates. I'm sure Abby wishes I was more of a playdate Mom since her after school time with friends drops significantly over the winter, so she's taken it upon herself to organize her own playdates with her friends on the way home from school. So now she gets off the bus bursting with plans to play at Johnny, Sally or Mary Beth's house. Most times I am forced to burst her bubble and tell her she can't play at Johnny, Sally or Mary Beth's house because their parents aren't home, but the baby sitter is. Abby isn't yet old enough to understand there is a difference.

The other night she got off the bus....

Abby: Mom, I'm going to play at Billy's house. His Grandma is there and she says it's okay. She did. Billy said so. He's not lying.
Me: Abby, Billy hasn't been home yet to see his Grandma, you can't make plans on the bus without talking to a grown up.
Abby: But his Grandma will call you and tell you it's okay.
Me: Billy's Grandma is not at his house, the baby sitter is and you cannot go play at his house if his Mom and Dad aren't home.
Abby: Frankie's going to play at Billy's and I'm going too. It is happening!

Well okay since you put it that way. I always wonder where she picks up these sayings because I'm pretty sure Dora doesn't talk like this.

1 comment:

roxie said...

She's lucky to have a mom who takes such good care of her.