Tuesday, January 29, 2008

what's cooking wednesday - moist caramel apple cake

WCWjpg
It seems like it's been days..... years even, since we've had any kind of social interaction with people. With everyone shuffling this stomach bug around we've not been out of the house nor had people in to visit and the kids, Abby most of all, have been feeling it. So the suggestion was made to invite Papa over for coffee and some goodies. (Grandma Linda had choir practice and couldn't join us so we owe her one.) In honour of our re-entry to the social scene I decided to whip up a cake with Abby's help, also known as licking cake batter off the spoon.

moist caramel apple cake


Moist Caramel Apple Cake

1 pkg ( 2 layer size) yellow cake mix
1 pkg (4 serving size) jello vanilla instant pudding
1 cup water
4 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 granny smith apples, peeled and coarsely chopped
20 caramels, unwrapped
1/4 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and flour a 12 cup fluted bundt pan or a 10 inch tube pan. Beat cake mix, dry pudding mix, water, eggs and oil in a large bowl with electric mixer on low speed until blended. Beat on high speed 2 minutes. Gently stir in apples. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake 50 - 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool 20 minutes, remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.

Microwave caramels and milk in a microwaveable bowl on HIGH for 1 1/2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until blended. Cool 10 minutes until slightly thickened, Drizzle over cake.

Recipe Notes: I only made one small change, which was to forgo the caramels and milk and instead serve caramel ice cream topping on the side. So much easier, folks then unwrapping all those caramel wrappers. Which, by the way, they say will unwrap like a dream if you pop them in the freezer for five minutes first. Personally, I couldn't be bothered to find out. This was a big hit with both Mike and Papa. Maya refused to try it, preferring instead to sip spoonfuls of Abby's melted ice cream dregs. Abby may have tried a taste, I'm not too sure, but in any case she didn't eat the whole piece and Papa had to bat clean up.




What is What's Cooking Wednesday and how can I play?

What's cooking Wednesday was born out of a desire to get out of that what's for dinner rut. Playing is easy, on Wednesday post a recipe that has been tried and tested by you and then pop over here and add your name to the Mr. Linky. When entering your name also add the name of the recipe in brackets and make sure you link to your What's Cooking Wednesday post and not just your blog's front page. And don't forget to link back here, the home of What's Cooking Wednesday.

So for example I would write Shan (Speedy Chicken Stir Fry) in the name section. For the URL section I would post this: http://shanrev.blogspot.com/2007/10/whats-cooking-wednesday-speedy-chicken.html

I'll let you in on a little secret. Much to Kaffy's chagrin, my WCW recipes are almost never made on a Wednesday. So feel free to cook and photograph whenever you have time and join us posting on Wednesday.

8 comments:

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

I loooove apple cake! YUM!

Btw, Shannon, your middle column is spilling over for me a bit into your right sidebar, and I'm on Firefox too. Weird b/c it appears fine in IE when I test it....

Jen said...

Oh my goodness, that sounds SO good! I can't wait to make it!

anno said...

Mmmmmmm... this sounds sublime. If my hoard of caramels is still unplundered -- hazard of living with a teenager -- I might try this today!

Siri said...

Dear Shan - Got to know about ur Whats cooking wednesday just now.. I added in my Soya Moussaka to the list.. Oh, the cake looks gorgeous.. love the caramel flavor!

~ Siri

Kellan said...

This cake looks delicious!!

We have also been passing the stomach bug around our house. Hope you all are recovering - I have two kids home from school today and I'm also not feeling great. Have a good day Shan - see you soon. Kellan

Leah said...

That looks YUMMY!

I hear you on the bug stuff. We've been swapping germs around our house, too. I've hardly even looked at blogs or my facebook account in DAYS from pure lack of energy (and that's saying something as I'm rather addited to reading blogs and doing facebook stuff! LOL)

Glad to hear your family is all on the mend; hopefully mine won't be too far behind...

Shan said...

BE - Thanks for the heads up. I'm not sure what's wrong. It looks fine for me. Hmmm.

Jen - Oh it is!

anno - It's actually pretty good without the caramel to be honest.

siri - welcome, the more the merrier.

kellan - thanks. I hope everyone at your house feels better soon.

leah - as a fellow blog reader/facebook addict I totally understand. Hope you're all on the mend soon.

Karen said...

Wow, Shan, you're almost at 10 participants. That's amazing!