Monday, February 11, 2008

a day with granny

Geographically my Mom, AKA Granny, is on the bottom of the Grandparent totem pole. Living 30 minutes away and working another 30 minutes or so in the opposite direction isn't conducive to the easy breezy drop in visit. No, a visit with my Mom must taking planning. Usually several days in advance. Prior to Maya and for a little bit after her arrival my Mom used to work in the same town, more or less, that we live in and it was easier then for us to pop over to the store, meet her after work for dinner or have her stop by here after or before work. Some of my favourite days on mat leave were when Mom would stop by before work and we'd have lunch. Double score because she usually brought something yummy with her.

All this to say that the girls don't get the one on one time with my Mom as they do their other Grandparents, so I was thrilled when my Mom called to ask if she could spend Monday with the girls while Mike and I were at work. Abby was even more thrilled. Maya, not so much in the beginning, but she can be a tough nut to crack some days.

A good time was had by all, even when Abby was trying to convince Granny that "Mommy lets me eat candy whenever I want". Luckily Granny's been around that block a time or two and didn't fall for it. She also sold Abby out at the earliest opportunity. The day was spent decorating valentines cupcakes, colouring, reading stories and watching Cinderella 2 in an endless loop. Well when Maya wasn't screaming for Four Square, which according to Abby is a baby show that was okay to watch when she was 4, but now she's 5. And she is soooo over it. As a bonus Mom even had the hard part of dinner made.... the meatballs. When I got home I just had to boil pasta and set the table. All while Granny power napped on the couch.

And Granny being Granny, you know she had a little treat up her sleeve for Abby and Maya. Matching jammies for Valentine's Day.

2008-02-11 005


Thanks for today Mom. The girls enjoyed it immensely. Shall I pencil you in for next month?

3 comments:

Leah said...

ahhh, quality is always better than quantity, and I'd take a full day of pure grandma over little visits here and there any day. And matching pajamas???? ADORABLE!!! My daughter would be ALLLLL about having herself a pair of those as well...

roxie said...

Those jammies are divine! What lucky girls, to have such a rockin' granny.

Shan said...

Leah - that's very true. A full Granny day is pretty cool. The jammies are from the Children's Place.

Roxie - I know I'd like a pair myself. And yes, Granny sure does rock.