Friday, February 29, 2008

to do

I feel a bit like I'm drowning these past couple of days. Drowning in paper work. My poor desk is piled high with my to-do list. Yesterday was "my first day" at being the secretary for the school's parent council. Something I was quite nervous about before we went, but when I got there I was ACK! What in the hell was I thinking? It is quite a bit of a learning curve in that there is lots of conversation and it's my job to wade through it all and make a split section decision as to it's relevance. I know it's just a matter of getting a feel for the job and luckily one of the co-chairs has offered to give me a hand until I get a bit more confidence. Plus Michael was there as well and an extra set of ears never hurt. So, despite my mini anxiety attack, I'm happy to be able to help.

Now if that were the only thing I had to do, well I could be thought of as a little bit of a whiner, but really it's so much more. I have some typing to finish up for a couple of different things. I have my vast blogging audience to keep entertained (HA! I make myself laugh). I am about to embark on a super cool, large scale creative project with a fellow Mom. Although we have scaled this back quite a bit in size since talks first began. It's still going to require a bunch of work and a lot of my creative brain power, but I am up for the challenge. And my first deadline, which has tentatively been set for Tuesday. This is going to be a bit of a labour of love for the both of us and I am so excited to see the final project.

And then we have the taxes. Somebody's going to have to organize a years worth of business paperwork and household expenses and the appropriate tax information. Which I hope to get done sooner than later since we're both expecting decent returns this year. I'm sure it would thrill our accountant to no end if we aren't at his place on deadline day to sign off on our paperwork. That's the goal, but that's pretty much the goal every year. I'm hopeful that oh-eight is our year!

We're still dealing with some sleep issues with Maya and Abby actually. Abby is complaining more and more about nightmares. The night terrors have been a thing of the past for probably close to a year. Boy was I ever happy to see the end of those. I'm not really sure when the nightmares occur. It's not something she wakes me in the middle of the night about, but she does give me a run down of them in the morning. The appearance of the nightmares has coincided with her suddenly being afraid of the dark and having to sleep with her closet light on. She also doesn't like to be alone in her room and has gone so far to even allow the cat to sleep with her. Something that thrills both me and Zebby beyond belief. I haven't done any real reading on it yet, but I wonder if the night terrors to nightmares is a natural progression. Maya is still kind of struggling with adjusting to her new "big girl lifestyle". Some nights I don't hear from her and then the others she's up whining or calling for me for an hour or more. Tonight I crashed while trying to watch the Survivor/Apprentice double header and now I'm up with Maya for goodness only knows how long.

Just thinking about all of this quite simply exhausts me, but I know it's only temporary. That one clear night of work will knock most of it out of the park. So come tomorrow night at 8, after family game night, after the kids are in bed I have a date with my office chair. And maybe by a reasonable hour I will be able to see my desk top. Maybe.

3 comments:

roxie said...

Cats are wonderful bedtime companions. They are small tigers who love us, and will chase away any bad things from our beds.

If I have a big glass of water before I go to bed, by 3 AM I am dreaming about floods, tidal waves, sharks. . . If I just wake up and go to the bathroom, I can drop right back to sleep and sweet dreams. What are Abby's dreams about?

Julie said...

I can't wait to hear about your little big project! And yes, we need you to entertain us!

anno said...

Sleep issues and paperwork (is it tax season in Canada, too?) are a tough combination. You have all my sympathies -- I hope it passes soon!