Wednesday, March 26, 2008

what's cooking wednesday - easy asian steak

WCWjpg


I picked this recipe up in the meat department at the grocery store we used to shop at way back when we were first married. I had intended to make it, I just didn't intend for it to take a decade before I did. I've been doing a little spring cleaning with my recipe cards, working out a new filing systems that makes it easier for me to find the one I'm looking for. I found this recipe stuck at the back of my recipe box and decided the time had come. I must go on record and say Mike was not impressed to learn I was not grilling the steak, but to his credit he was a big baby about it very reasonable in his displeasure. Wondering how he liked it? You'll have to read to the end to find out.

Easy Asian Steak


Easy Asian Steak

1 1/2 tsp vegetable oil
1 lb blade or cross rib simmering steak
3/4 cup orange juice
3 tbsp EACH soy sauce and ketchup
1 1/2 tbsp gingerroot, grated
1/4 tsp dried chili peppers
1 1/2 tsp cornstarch

In a medium oven proof skillet (wrap skillet handle in foil if not oven proof) heat oil over medium high heat; brown steak, about 2 minutes on each side. Meanwhile, mix remaining ingredients except cornstarch; pour over steak. Remove from heat; cover and simmer in a 325 degree F oven for 1 1/4 hours or until tender. Remove steak to cutting board; place skillet over medium heat; mix cornstarch with 1 tsp water until smooth, stir into skillet and bring to a boil for one minute. Slice steak into think strips. Serve over wide rice or chinese noodles or fettucini. Toss noodles with sauce and top with steak.

Recipe Notes: While I do have an oven proof skillet I still moved the steak to a covered casserole dish and cooked it in that. Don't ask me why, but I don't like using my skillet in the oven. In the end this recipe was deemed okay. Mike thought the orange was a bit over powering and I had to agree. Also I had purchased two different steaks, one being much leaner than the other and we both agreed the steak with more marbling tasted better than the leaner cut. I figured I had pushed my luck enough with Mike I served this with mashed potatoes rather than noodles. Even still I don't think it was good enough to make our "regular rotation" cut.




What is What's Cooking Wednesday and how can I play?

What's cooking Wednesday was born out of a desire to get out of that what's for dinner rut. Playing is easy, on Wednesday post a recipe that has been tried and tested by you and then pop over here and add your name to the Mr. Linky. When entering your name also add the name of the recipe in brackets and make sure you link to your What's Cooking Wednesday post and not just your blog's front page. And don't forget to link back here, the home of What's Cooking Wednesday.

So for example I would write Shan (Speedy Chicken Stir Fry) in the name section. For the URL section I would post this: http://shanrev.blogspot.com/2007/10/whats-cooking-wednesday-speedy-chicken.html

I'll let you in on a little secret. Much to Kaffy's chagrin, my WCW recipes are almost never made on a Wednesday. So feel free to cook and photograph whenever you have time and join us posting on Wednesday.

*Non-recipe related links will be deleted.*




5 comments:

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

See now I'd be wary about the ketchup, but I think that's my Italian OH constant "ew" reaction to ketchup speaking. If/when I get my hands on soy sauce, I'd like to play with this recipe. Thanks for sharing :)

Jen said...

I find it pretty hard to make good Asian beef dishes. I think I need someone to teach me a bit in this area.

Mommy Project said...

Sorry you and Mike didn't care for the recipe...it sure looks good in your photo. Mmmmm...potatoes [drool].

I have all my ingredients for "Baked Cod Fillets with Roasted Potatoes" that I'm making tonight...link to come!!
:-D

p.s. I made a turkey lasagna last week but couldn't find my pictures...so that's why I missed "What's Cooking Wednesday" last week. It was really good, too.

darlene said...

good deal Shan!!!....
yummmy!!!

Karen said...

I totally agree that fattier beef is the more yummy. Unlucky, that.