Saturday, April 26, 2008

end of an era

2008-04-26 001


This morning Mike dismantled the crib. Which wasn't nearly as emotional as I was expecting. We did talk about how it was a little sad that Maya was our last baby and how nice it would be to have another one. Although with both admitted the desire for another baby comes and goes in accordance with Maya's sleep schedule. This being a particularly bad week for sleep, the desire was pretty low making it perfect timing for this childhood milestone.

I wasn't quite sure how Maya was going to take to the bed, Abby had a little bit of a struggle when she made the transition. Maya did put up a bit of a stink about nap time, but I think that was more in protest of the nap itself and not anything to do with the bed. I laid down with her for a few minutes until she accepted that a nap would be happening and further protest would be futile. She had a long intense conversation with her blankie that I eavesdropped via the baby monitor and before long she was asleep.

2008-04-26 002


Here's hoping tonight goes just as easily.

7 comments:

Melissa said...

She looks so sweet in her big girl bed! Good luck tonight!

Anonymous said...

awwww!!

Karen said...

I hear ya about the third baby thing - sleep equals desire for another baby; no sleep equals "no friggin way."

Hope will be saying goodbye to the crib this summer. I think she'll love it.

Mommy Project said...

I could have Sworn I commented on this cute picture already! She looks so cute and comfy cozy. And, I love the sheet set!

Throwing out the crib would be too much for me. Ours is still waiting downstairs - just - in - case.

Anonymous said...

She's getting so big!!!

Shan said...

Melissa - thanks. She did really great last night.

Mom - I know!

Karen - Exactly!

Mommy - On the off chance we lose our heads and decide to go for another one we would need a new crib anyway. Maya was the 6th kid to use it and it didn't owe anybody anything.

Suze - I know it's crazy and a little heartbreaking.

Leah said...

wow, talk about similar thought processes this week! I just took apart our crib Monday, and it was very mixed emotions for me. All of the other times we moved a "baby" (toddler!) from the crib, it was because we had another one on the way. This time, it was simply because it was time to move Connor out of the crib, and pass it along to someone else in need. It's partway exciting that chapter of our lives is over, but partway really really sad. I'm glad to know I have at least YOU who understands my thoughts this week!