Tuesday, April 15, 2008

What's Cooking Wednesday - pulled chicken sandwiches

WCWjpg


Oh boy do we eat a lot of chicken around here. Which can get boring if I'm not careful. so I'm always out he look out to add new chicken recipes. Especially ones that use chicken thighs, since they're a little easier on the pocketbook.

Pulled Chicken Sandwiches.


Pulled Chicken Sandwiches

1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 onion, sliced
1/2 cup Kraft original bbq sauce
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 french baguette 16 - 20 inches long
1/4 cup cheez whiz

Cook chicken and onion in skillet on medium high heat for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add barbecue sauce, water and sugar; stir. Reduce heat to medium; cover. Cook and additional 7 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

Remove chicken from the skillet. Shred with two forks or chop into small pieces. Return to skillet; stir until evenly coated with sauce. Cut baguette lengthwise in half; spread tophalf evenly with cheez whiz. Cut crosswise into four pieces. Fill with chicken mixture.

Recipe Notes: Well as you can see I served mine on whole grain bread because I'm trying to eat more fibre. Also there was no cheez whiz so a cheese slice would have to do. This was an okay recipe. It didn't set the world on fire or anything. Abby was game to try it, but didn't make it past the first bite. She didn't care for the bbq sauce. Mike skipped the bun all together and Maya refused to eat it at all, but that's about normal for her.



What is What's Cooking Wednesday and how can I play?

What's cooking Wednesday was born out of a desire to get out of that what's for dinner rut. Playing is easy, on Wednesday post a recipe that has been tried and tested by you and then pop over here and add your name to the Mr. Linky. When entering your name also add the name of the recipe in brackets and make sure you link to your What's Cooking Wednesday post and not just your blog's front page. And don't forget to link back here, the home of What's Cooking Wednesday.

So for example I would write Shan (Speedy Chicken Stir Fry) in the name section. For the URL section I would post this: http://shanrev.blogspot.com/2007/10/whats-cooking-wednesday-speedy-chicken.html

I'll let you in on a little secret. Much to Kaffy's chagrin, my WCW recipes are almost never made on a Wednesday. So feel free to cook and photograph whenever you have time and join us posting on Wednesday.

7 comments:

Mommy Project said...

Mmmm...I lurve Cheez Whiz and I've read that there is ~something~ in it (I forget just what) that is actually good for you! I tell myself that everytime I slop a big wallop of it down the side of my bowl of potato chips. ;-)

I think I would like this dish.

Anonymous said...

I've never been fond of BBQ sauce, the sandwich looks kind of messy.

the life partner

Jen said...

We do chicken a lot here, too. Sunday it was a rotisserie chicken, since we were on the last day of a vacation. Monday we used the leftovers of that in a Thai stir fry. Last night I made chicken and cheese pasta, and tonight I'm making chicken, spinach and cheese enchiladas. And I don't even like chicken that much, lol!

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

I have a bottle of bbq sauce from the States here and I'm actually afraid to try it on P. But I love it, so I will. Eventually ;)

darlene said...

looks yummy Shan

Shan said...

Mommy - so I can stop feeling guilty when I eat it on toast?

TLP - It was messy.Maybe not as messy as ... oh I don't know... chicken wings, but still messy.

Jen - Wow that is a lot of chicken. How big was that bird?

BE - I can't wait to read about that.

Thanks Darlene!

mommytherobot.blogspot.com said...

i want to participate!!! i need to pay attention to your week blog sched! hehe
anyway this looks so good im going to add it in my link list blog or linky love or whatever its called!