Wednesday, October 08, 2008

we were planning on getting one eventually... or so he tells me

This is my new back door.

IMG_3108


This is the reason I have a new back door.

IMG_3107


No wait, this is the real reason I have a new back door.

IMG_3110


Remember this guy? The post surgical pain in my ass who's got a raging case of cabin fever and is already bored out of his face? Well while he was sitting at home on Monday, unable to twiddle his own thumbs, the sound of a chainsaw from the neighbour's yard caught his attention. Peering out the window he noticed a team of guys diligently working on cutting down an enormous tree in the yard behind ours.

Now Mike's no different than any other reasonable man. His first thought was... Shan's going to want to see this! And out the back door he went, cellphone in hand. So he snaps a few pictures with his fancy new camera phone and turns to head back inside. Only the door won't open. It's locked and his keys are... you guessed it... on the inside. So now he's stuck outside on a very cool October day in a t-shirt and jeans.


But never fear, our house is old, as is... or rather was... our back door. If the circumstances are just right a well placed kick will pop it right open. So he kicked, likely more than once if I were a betting woman and on this October day the door is taking a stand and it ain't moving.


So he calls his Dad, who's an hour away and is willing to help him, but it's much more practical if I bring him the key. Me being 15 minutes away and all. He kills the next few minutes waiting for me to rescue him by texting me curse words. Lucky he had his cellphone, something to take his mind off the freezing temperatures as he sat on the front porch... waiting. Meanwhile our neighbour across the street would have taken his frozen carcass in off the streets until help arrived.


And just before he succumbed to hypothermia I arrived to unlock the door. A door that would never be the same again. A couple of shots from Mike's size 10's split the door in two and the stress on the door handle completely shattered the inner mechanism beyond repair. And this was how we locked our door for two nights, with this length of lumber jammed up under what remained of our door handle.

IMG_3109


That's a redneck security system at it's finest folks.


So an hour and a half of lost work time and close to $300 later we have a new back door. And this was only the first week folks. We've got the whole month to go. Lord help me.....

8 comments:

Karen said...

While I do feel sorry for you, Shan, I'm looking forward to the stories of the next few weeks.

Kaci said...

Yikes! Pretty door though!

Mommy Project said...

Ha ha ha ha!
OMG - he is such a man.
Monday, what was I doing Monday? Oh...I was trying to clean the office while Dave was home painting the girls' bedroom. Why didn't Mikey come across the road to keep warm!?! Dork! ;-)
Well, congrats on the new door - it's very pretty.

Heidi said...

Aha! His own worst enemy. At least he was thinking of you when he got himself into the mess.

Leah said...

LOL!!! Well, I guess whatever it takes to get the job done, huh?? LOL Any rooms you'd like repainted? I'd bet he could make a pretty good stab at that one-handed to pass some time.

darlene said...

wow, looks nice.....wtg Mike

Shan said...

Karen - oh you don't even know the half of it. Luckily he can take the cast of on Sunday. I'm hoping that helps... a lot.

Kaci - Thanks. Even if we weren't planning on buying it now we're still pretty happy with it. Much nicer than the old one.

Normie - He is a major dork. You and Jenni were both home. The freak:) And I say that because I love him.

Heidi - that's all very true.

Leah - I'll have to mention that to him:)

Darlene - thanks:)

WIDNEY WOMAN said...

I'm with Karen...

Maybe you should give your best neighbor a key to your house...Wouldn't want harm to come of that new door.