Thursday, November 13, 2008

thankful thursday #2

Well I didn't think she'd do it, but she did. Last week I challenged The Mommy Project to host Thankful Thursday over at her blog. I think it's important to stop and remember the things in our lives that we are thankful for. All day today I've been mulling over in my mind what to put on my thankful list for this week while plotting how I would poke fun at The Mommy Project for not posting. Looks like she showed me! But hey, while you're here... why not join Normie and I and list what your thankful for, then head on over to The Mommy Project to sign her Mr. Linky.

And without further ado, my list.....

1. I am thankful for neighbours! Tonight I put my hand on Abby's head and just happened to notice a little something in her hair. I peered closer. I got a flash light and peered even closer. Then while I was peering even closer I got Mike to call across the street to my more experienced Mom buddy. Could she come over and confirm my suspicions? And in a blink she was over and together we combed through Abby's head and she confirmed what I was dreading, head lice. This was not the first time I've called or yelled across the street, "Jen! Can you come over and check this out?" She always comes over and she always set my mind at ease. If she ever actually moves like she threatens too.... well I don't know what I'd do.

2. I am thankful for tea tree oil. You may remember that Abby had gotten lice once before in JK. I was suitably horrified, but we dealt with the problem and my other neighbour advised me to shake a few drops of tea tree oil into her shampoo once a week. So I've done that ever since. Until last week. I had finally run out and forgot to buy some more when I was shopping, so Abby didn't get her weekly dose this week. Yeah I'm kicking myself! Big time!!

3. I am thankful for the Country Music Awards or the CMA's. I listen to country music exclusively. Yes, this is very likely a sign I'm getting old and I'm sure it will cost me some of my coolness when word about this gets out, but I'm okay with that. I like country music. By extension Abby also listens exclusively to country music. Last night the CMA's were on and I let Abby stay up an extra half an hour to watch them. She was beyond thrilled. Whenever the camera landed on one of her favourites (Carrie Underwood, Taylor Swift, Kenny Chesney or Alan Jackson to name a few) she would scream in excitement and point at the screen. She clapped and cheered and was ecstatic when Jennifer Nettles (from Sugarland another favourite) won a writing award. She got up and she danced and sang when her favourite performers played. That was the best part for me. Abby's been a little down about singing this past week, so I was happy to see her singing along to her favourite songs and enjoying herself so much.

4. I am thankful for my crafty buddy. She may be more craft obsessed than I. I love being able to bounce ideas off her, borrow books from her and generally torture her by sending her links to fabulous crafty ideas. And who knows maybe one day we'll be on Oprah talking about how we started our crafting empire out of our homes and before we knew we were worth eleventy billion dollars. And we owe it all to Normie's stash of beading magazines. Or cupcake books. Or one of the eleventy billion other books she has over there. Love it!

5. A nice warm mug of green tea.... black. Or is that green? The bag left in. I'm on my fourth cup today.

And what are you thankful for?

5 comments:

Mommy Project said...

Ahhhhhh...
thanks so much Mrs. Blogmother. That is so nice of you!
I, too, think we will be on Oprah one day discussing our crafty empire (but I didn't know you knew that...yet). ;-)

Sorry about the Abster! So far we've been lucky. I wonder if it is the "Outrageous" shampoo and conditioner we use...or have I just, literally, been lucky? I remember when my ferret, Molly, got fleas and I was ~horrified~ and so ~angry~ that they were walking around on my BABY (that was in my 20's...pre-real-babies). I can't imagine how I might freak if I had the same discovery. :-0

xo
n.

Anonymous said...

Hi Shan I am thankful for my family. And that I can always see bits of the grandchildren on your blog that i might miss otherwise.

Leah said...

what a great list (minus the head lice part--haven't gone through that with my own kids, but I had it twice as a kid... ugh)

today, I'm thankful that I have a very EMPTY day and get to relax and focus on my boys (Em's at school or i'd focus on her as well). Life has seemed very rushed and fly by the seat of our pants lately, so today will be a nice quiet day.

Cristan said...

Oh I looooove Jennifer Nettles! I saw her in the band "Soul Miner's Daughter" on one of my first dates with my hubby, 11 years ago!

Shan said...

Normie - it's all true my friend. Yeah it's not pretty, but I think I handled it better than I did the first time around. And outrageous shampoo or not, you are definitely lucky. As for me I have a brand new bottle of tea tree oil in my bathroom.

Anon - that's sweet.

Leah - that sounds like a pretty great day to me.

Cristan - Abby is a huge Jennifer Nettles fan. I didn't realize she even been in a band before sugarland.