Sunday, December 14, 2008

the countdown

Tonight found our living room over run with toys. The girls had them spread from one end to the other. And since it had been relatively tidy all weekend I was a little annoyed. Usually when I get Abby to clean up after herself it's nothing but whining and complaining while I follow around behind her giving specific instructions. Pick up that Barbie and put her in the barbie draw. Put your colouring book back on the shelf. That sort of thing. Tonight I just wasn't up for it. Besides she's six and a half and is fully capable of a little cleaning.

So tonight I grabbed my kitchen timer and warned her I was setting it for 10 minutes. She would need to have all her toys put in their proper spots before the timer went off. Whatever was still out would be mine to keep and the door to the toy room would remained closed tomorrow. Dudes she had the entire thing done with 3 minutes to spare. And done properly too. Oh and she did it without a sound. No whining. No complaining. Just done. Even Maya helped a little. More importantly Abby was too focused to even notice what Maya was doing. So there weren't any "no fairs", "why do I have to do everythings", "Maya played with those I didn't's". It was heaven

Why hadn't I thought of that sooner? It's genius!

4 comments:

Leah said...

hopefully it lasts longer for you than it did for us. Jared's reaction to our threats is "I don't like that stuff anymore anyway, you can just throw it away." Connor doesn't quite understand the threat yet, and GENERALLY, it's the boys' stuff that's out, so it's so skin off Em's hide if we threaten to toss it. SIGH

Glad it worked with Abby though!!! It still works from time to time with my kids, but not consistantly.

Betsy Hart said...

Oh! GOOD IDEA!!! I don't know if it will work on my 3 year old.... :)

Julie said...

OOh, I'll have to file that one away for future use.

Shan said...

Leah - Abby can be like that too, but so far this is working.I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it continues.

Betsy - Oh it has zero impact on Maya, just so you know.

Julie - good idea.