Friday, December 12, 2008

snowmen, santa and gingerbread

We are still having huge amounts of fun with our 25 days of Christmas challenge. I will admit this week has been somewhat of a struggle since I haven't gotten nearly enough sleep. Hard to be creative when you can barely keep your eyes open.

For example, I'd like to take credit for this idea, but I lifted it from somebody's blog. I can't even remember who's, so whoever you are thanks for the great idea. Snowman pancakes.

Dec047


Now this one I came up with off the cuff and to be truthful I thought it was pretty lame, but went with it for lack of a better idea. Surprisingly the kids really enjoyed it. Make Santa's house out of blocks. They went so far as to make furniture as well. This was the evening Mike and I went Christmas shopping so this activity they did with Grandma Sandi, who even cut a roof out of cardboard for Santa's house. Actually she had to cut two since Little My Pie doesn't like to share.

Dec051


And tonight was gingerbread night. For the past couple of years Granny and the girls have taken a night before Christmas to decorate a gingerbread house. Last year we went with a pre-built model. This year we did not. This year we contemplated calling in Mike Holmes to oversee the repair of some serious foundation cracks, walls that were completely out of level and a roof that was far from plumb.

Dec055


In the end we managed to hold it together with a lick and a promise. Well actually a lick and some icing. Maya developed quite a taste for the icing.

Dec063


And when the project was complete and we'd disposed of the leftover icing we found her licking it off the gingerbread house itself. Yeah, I don't recommend eating it. This gingerbread house is strictly for decoration now.

Dec065


*thanks to Heather for the Princess gingerbread house. The girls loved it! And nobody licked that one.

2 comments:

Kaci said...

OOO I love the princess one!! I've never seen one like that.

WIDNEY WOMAN said...

I love, love, love your gingerbread houses!!!