Tuesday, December 16, 2008

what's cooking wednesday - grilled cheese

First an announcement: With next Wednesday being Christmas Eve, there will be no What's Cooking Wednesday. Enjoy your holiday!

We watch a lot of Food Network here. Next to HGTV it is my favourite channel. Some of my favourite shows are Iron Chef America, Good Eats, Top Chef, What's for Dinner and the Neely's. To name just a few. I also really love Diners, Drive ins and Dive even though it sometimes makes Mike and I want to drive to Kansas (for example) in the middle of the night for the most delicious looknig enchiladas we've ever seen. Now this recipe I would have expected to see on Diners, Drive ins and Dives, but for some odd reason it was on Unwrapped. Which is a "how it's made" show about food. Like how the make twinkies or kettle chips and such. For some reason they had how this one specific diner made it's grilled cheese sandwiches and when I saw it I considered organizing a roadie to where ever in the the US of A this place was (the location fails me now). And then I realized... hey they just told me how I could make it myself. So I did.

grilled cheese


Very Cheesy Grilled Cheese

2 pieces of sourdough bread, crusts cut off
1 - 2 tsps garlic butter
handful of grated parmesan
1 slice of cheddar cheese
1 slice of monterey jack
1 slice mozzarella
1 slice swiss

Butter one side of each piece of bread and then sprinkle on some of the grated paremsan, pressing it slightly so it sticks to the butter.

Place each piece butter side down on a hot griddle. On one piece of bread top with cheddar and swiss. On the other piece top with mozzarella and monterey jack. Cook until the parmesan is browned and the cheese on top has started to melt. Place the first piece, parmesan cheese side down on a plate and invert the other piece of bread on top of it. Let rest for a minute or two so the cheeses meld together.

Recipe Notes: Wow! This is very good, but very cheesy. The parmesan and garlic butter make an amazing crust on the outside of the bread. I could see cooking up some garlic toast this way. To make this again I would cut way back on the cheese. Maybe just a slice of swiss. It was a bit of cheese overload, but what a decadent treat.




What is What's Cooking Wednesday and how can I play?

What's cooking Wednesday was born out of a desire to get out of that what's for dinner rut. Playing is easy, on Wednesday post a recipe that has been tried and tested by you and then pop over here and add your name to the Mr. Linky. When entering your name also add the name of the recipe in brackets and make sure you link to your What's Cooking Wednesday post and not just your blog's front page. And don't forget to link back here, the home of What's Cooking Wednesday.

So for example I would write Shan (Speedy Chicken Stir Fry) in the name section. For the URL section I would post this: http://shanrev.blogspot.com/2007/10/whats-cooking-wednesday-speedy-chicken.html

I'll let you in on a little secret. Much to Kaffy's chagrin, my WCW recipes are almost never made on a Wednesday. So feel free to cook and photograph whenever you have time and join us posting on Wednesday.

10 comments:

Betsy Hart said...

Um wow. That looks absolutely delish!!

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Mmmmm that *is* very cheesy! YUM!

Mommy Project said...

Mmmm. Cheeeeeeese.

Oh...and, btw, if you are headed over to see my recipe for Gingerbread Kids you can skip to the bottom of my post to get it! There was a bit of a long, LONG, story to get thru. before the actual recipe!
;-)

Leah said...

mmmmmmmm that makes me want to eat some grilled cheese RIGHT NOW

Unknown said...

That grilled cheese sounds yummy. How did you make the garlic butter?

Karen said...

I remember eating a seriously cheesy grilled cheese at Mr. Greenjeans in the Eaton's Centre years ago. It was awesome but I think I heard my heart slowing even at 18 years old. I think yours may rival it though.

darlene said...

omg!!...One of my favorites!!...am hungry now...gesh!!..what a tease!!....

Shan said...

Betsy - It was. It was very rich too.

Michelle - you are not kidding.

Normie - you're funny. Crazy lady!

Leah - I felt the same way when I first say it.

City Girl - I actually used garlic margarine that i picked up at the grocery store. I'm sure that allrecipes.com would have some recipes if you wanted to make it yourself using butter.

Karen - oh my gosh I had forgotten about Mr. Greenjeans! I remember going there for Dave's birthday a million years ago.

Darlene - I was totally thinking of you while I made it!

WIDNEY WOMAN said...

I wasn't planning on playing, but Jen of A2EatWrite made a special request. Because Jen is so wonderful and I love her so, I had to oblige. Good thing too, because I re-read your entry and realized there will not be a What's Cooking Wednesday on Christmas Eve - when I initially planned to write up these recipes.

WIDNEY WOMAN said...

City Girl, I just read your question. My husband gets butter and garlic salt and mixes together until he likes the taste. But I'm sure there is a more scientific method on the web.

Shan, you have my husband beat. I think the most different cheeses he has used is 4.