Wednesday, February 18, 2009

what's cooking wednesday - homemade granola bars

Here's the thing, you give me Monday off and all of the sudden I'm a day behind. So while yesterday was Tuesday and traditionally the night I would post my What's Cooking Wednesday post so it's all ready for you guys Wednesday morning. Well I thought it was only Monday. I realized it this morning when the alarm went off. Oops.

So here you go, What's Cooking Wednesday a day late.

My kids love granola bars, but they can get pricey at the rate a family of four can go through them. One box will not last the week when there are four lunches to be packed five days a week. So I was intrigued when I stumbled across this recipe for granola bars. I was going to give them a try, but it took multiple attempts to get all the ingredients from the store and into the house. Don't ask me why, they were all on my grocery list, but every week I would forget the rice krispies. Anyway it took a while, but finally it was mission accomplished.

Granola Bars


Homemade Granola Bars

4 cups Rice Krispies
4 cups oats
16 oz. large marshmallows (about 450g for us Canadians)
1 cube butter (1/2 cup)
1 T. peanut butter (optional)
1 cup miniature M & Ms (found with the chocolate chips) or 1 cup miniature chocolate chips

Combine cereal, oats, chocolate and/or M & Ms in a large bowl. In a microwave-safe dish (I use a large glass bowl), microwave marshmellows, butter and peanut butter. Cook one minute; stir; cook one more minute; stir. Pour over cereal mixture, stir, then press into 9 x 13 buttered pan. Cut into bars and enjoy!

Recipe Notes: Well I skipped the peanut butter because it's just not allowed at school. I really loved this recipe for how quick and easy it was to put together. I lined my 9X13 pan with waxed paper so went it was set I could lift the whole thing out. That made cutting them into bars a lot easier. I divided the pan into thirds along the long side and cut them into bars that were similar in size and shape to a store bought granola bar. I got about 36 bars and it only cost me a fraction what it would have it if I'd purchased 36 bars at the store. I have to admit I wasn't sure Abby was going to like them, but.....

030013


she did!!




What is What's Cooking Wednesday and how can I play?

What's cooking Wednesday was born out of a desire to get out of that what's for dinner rut. Playing is easy, on Wednesday post a recipe that has been tried and tested by you and then pop over here and add your name to the Mr. Linky. When entering your name also add the name of the recipe in brackets and make sure you link to your What's Cooking Wednesday post and not just your blog's front page. And don't forget to link back here, the home of What's Cooking Wednesday.

So for example I would write Shan (Speedy Chicken Stir Fry) in the name section. For the URL section I would post this: http://shanrev.blogspot.com/2007/10/whats-cooking-wednesday-speedy-chicken.html

I'll let you in on a little secret. Much to Kaffy's chagrin, my WCW recipes are almost never made on a Wednesday. So feel free to cook and photograph whenever you have time and join us posting on Wednesday.




5 comments:

Merry said...

I was beginning to wonder if you had deserted up. Thursday is better than never. :)

Leah said...

oops, I forgot to include the name of the recipe along with my name. LOL I finally participate with you and mess it up. sigh...

the granola bars look good!! I'll bet Em and J would eat them, but Connor won't even eat the store-bought ones. He just crumbles them into a sticky disasterous mess and walks off.

Chantal said...

I have a similar recipe but it calls for a can of Sweetened condensed milk (milk of the gods I like to call it). My son wasn't a fan but then I put raisins it them. I bet if I put M and M's he would go nuts for them. I will have to try that!

stacy said...

homemade granola bars - yummm - mmmy!

Shan said...

Merry - it was a total brain fart. Couldn't believe I had done it.

Leah - Yay! Love seeing you participate and LOVE the recipe. I was surprised that both girls liked them. That rarely happens here.

Chantal - Let me know how it works out.

Stacy - thanks for commenting. They were a huge hit here.