Tuesday, February 03, 2009

what's cooking wednesday - new england pot roast

I guess you could say I'm in a funk when it comes to roast beef. I do the same thing with it every time. Throw it in the crockpot with some water, soy sauce and garlic. That's it. Not long ago I was flipping through my Betty Crocker Big Red Cookbook and this recipe caught my eye.

Roast Beef


4 lb cross rib roast
1 - 2 tsp salt
1tsp pepper
1 jar (8 oz) prepared horseradish
1 cup water
8 small potatoes cut in half
8 medium carrots cut into fourths
8 small onions

Cook beef in a 12 inch skillet over medium heat until brown on all sides. Place potatoes, carrots and onions in a 4 to 6 quart slow cooker. Place beef on vegetables, Mix horseradish, salt and pepper together and spread over roast beef. Pour water into slow cooker. Cover and cook for 8 - 10 hours on low or until beef and vegetables are tender.

Recipe Notes: Well Mike and I really enjoyed this. The girls refused to try it. Their loss. I was a little worried that the taste of horseradish would be overwhelming (as much as I love it), but it really mellowed out while it was cooking. I didn't bother browning the roast first because it seemed like a waste of time and a pain in the ass and not necessarily in that order. I also skipped the potatoes and veggies in the crock because I just don't care for them done that way. I'll definitely be making this again.





What is What's Cooking Wednesday and how can I play?

What's cooking Wednesday was born out of a desire to get out of that what's for dinner rut. Playing is easy, on Wednesday post a recipe that has been tried and tested by you and then pop over here and add your name to the Mr. Linky. When entering your name also add the name of the recipe in brackets and make sure you link to your What's Cooking Wednesday post and not just your blog's front page. And don't forget to link back here, the home of What's Cooking Wednesday.

So for example I would write Shan (Speedy Chicken Stir Fry) in the name section. For the URL section I would post this: http://shanrev.blogspot.com/2007/10/whats-cooking-wednesday-speedy-chicken.html

I'll let you in on a little secret. Much to Kaffy's chagrin, my WCW recipes are almost never made on a Wednesday. So feel free to cook and photograph whenever you have time and join us posting on Wednesday.

5 comments:

WIDNEY WOMAN said...

I feel like I can taste it right now. Yummmm...

darlene said...

looks yummy....

Anonymous said...

I've done a few pot roasts and I do brown it ahead of time. I think it's supposed to add to the flavour but I totally get the time issue, and extra pan too. Not what people are looking for in a crock pot/pot roast. I'm also with you on the veg. Much prefer those done separately.

Heather... said...

Hey Shan, Love the new blog look. Sorry it's been a while. And I realize this week's recipe is a totally cop-out but I'm hoping I'll be better next week.

Shan said...

Widney - it was very yummmmmmm

Darlene - oh it was

Karen - Maybe I'll give the browning a try next time.

Heather - thanks... good to hear from you.