Sunday, March 29, 2009

tiny moments - blankey

I have tried many things in the past three years in my quest to get Maya sleeping through the night. I remember the night I picked up the pink fleece blanket that Auntie Yoli had given to her as a gift for her christening because the book I was reading at the time told me introducing a "lovey" might be helpful. It had Maya's name and the date of her Christening stitched across the corner. I tucked the super soft pink material up close to her face as I gave her her last bottle before bed. Little did I know that little pink blankey would become one of the most important things in my Little My Pie's life.

022009_0310(003)


That pink blankey has traveled many miles with us. It's been to the grocery store and to Uncle Dave's and to various Grandma's houses and to the sitters and to friends and to church and a million places more. It makes her happy and very likely makes her feel safe and secure. The trick though, to get it to work -- it has to be touching her nose.

7 comments:

Betsy Hart said...

How sweet. My Natalie has a blankie she has to sleep with, thankfully it isn't an absolute, she can flit from fleece to fleece!

Chantal said...

that is so sweet!

A Crafty Mom said...

So funny! My second and third kids have blankeys too - can't live without them. I was actually thinking of doing a post soon for my daughter b/c she just recently became really attached to hers (I knit them both, and they look so old and ratty now!). And how cute is that picture????

Heather... said...

Addison is exactly the same! There is a tag on her comforter and it has to be touching her nose. She will not sleep without it. We had to take it to Cuba! The trick is finding the right time to wash it so she doesn't see it and start freaking out.

Mommy Project said...

Love the pic., Shan. That is so sweet. Maddie has a blanket that she has always been attached to, too (in addition to her Hippo). Jamie isn't attached to anything. Funny how different kids can be...

Julie said...

That is such a gorgeous picture. Max has a blankey too, though he calls it bidi (no idea!). He doesn't seem to be too attached to it yet, but does need it to sleep. Though sleeping through the night is still a dream for us.

Shan said...

Betsy - that would be nice, but it has to be that one. God help us if we ever misplace it.

Chantal - it really is:)

Crafty Mom - well great minds and all that:)

Heather - Maya's actually pretty good about handing it over for "blankey's bath". Although she has been known to stand in front of our front loading washer and watch it go round and round.

MP - Yeah it is funny isn't it. Abby will get attached to one thing (kinda) for a while and then it will be something else. Recently it was one of the Madagascar Penguins (beanie baby version), but just tonight I noticed it's her purple princess bear. We rotate through the WebKinz too.

Julie - Maya drops her blankey at the back door as we leave every morning and picks it right back up as soon as we get back home at the end of the day.I don't often let her take it out of the house anymore. She's getting better about handling new situations. I used to bring it with us if we were going somewhere new or where there would be a lot of new people. She doesn't handle either very well, but she's getting better. Hope that sleep thing comes for you soon.