Tuesday, March 03, 2009

what's cooking wednesday - chicken pot pie

This is one of those cold weather comfort dishes that I love, but have never made myself. I thought it was time I did something about that. So I searched all over allrecipes.com until I found something I could work with.

Chicken Pot Pie


Chicken Pot Pie

1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup frozen green peas
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup milk

2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C.)
In a saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas, and celery. Add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
Place the chicken mixture in bottom pie crust. Pour hot liquid mixture over. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.

Recipe Notes: I used frozen mixed veggies instead of the peas, celery and carrots. I also diced up a rotisserie chicken, just to make things easier. I also threw a handful or so of grated cheddar after it had thickened. Mike initially didn't like this, or rather he thought he didn't like it. I made it while he was stuffed up with a cold. Once he had his sense of taste back he enjoyed it much more. The kids -- wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. I know... shocking, right? One day they'll eat food. I'm sure of it.




What is What's Cooking Wednesday and how can I play?

What's cooking Wednesday was born out of a desire to get out of that what's for dinner rut. Playing is easy, on Wednesday post a recipe that has been tried and tested by you and then pop over here and add your name to the Mr. Linky. When entering your name also add the name of the recipe in brackets and make sure you link to your What's Cooking Wednesday post and not just your blog's front page. And don't forget to link back here, the home of What's Cooking Wednesday.

So for example I would write Shan (Speedy Chicken Stir Fry) in the name section. For the URL section I would post this: http://shanrev.blogspot.com/2007/10/whats-cooking-wednesday-speedy-chicken.html

I'll let you in on a little secret, my WCW recipes are almost never made on a Wednesday. So feel free to cook and photograph whenever you have time and join us posting on Wednesday.

6 comments:

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

I'm sure the kids will come around. CPP is one of those dishes most kids love.

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

I've been thinking a lot lately about making chicken pot pie since they don't sell them frozen here (shock)...thanks for the recipe!

Mommy Project said...

Looks good, Shan. I can't believe the girls wouldn't eat it!

Leah said...

My friend Lacy gave me a chicken pot pie recipe about two year ago. It came together pretty easily and my family really enjoyed it, but for some reason I only made it the one time. oh wait, it's because during the winter, for CHEAP (and with much less work) I can get a HUGE pot pie from Costco that leaves us enough leftovers for another meal! woo hoo!

Shan said...

NYC - My older daughter might come around, but the little one will happily go without food rather than try something new. I hope they eventually grow out of it.

BE - no problem, enjoy! And I am totally shocked you can't get frozen cpp there:)

Mommy Project - I know, drives me nuts.

Leah - I'd probably go that route too if I were you :)

Unknown said...

Sorry for my so belated submission... love CPP.