Sunday, April 19, 2009

bad blogger

So I totally dropped the blogging ball last night. I've been blogging for quite some time now (over three years) so I really have no excuse. I should have known better. Here's the thing, any blogger worth her salt knows you never go anywhere without your camera and you take pictures of anything that may even marginally resemble blog fodder. It's what they teach you on day one. Here I had an evening full of bloggable fodder and didn't snap a single picture. So you'll just have to imagine what I'm about to tell you.

First a little back story. Remember last month when Heather and I got together and watched Twilight in our jammies? Well we had a lot of fun, so much fun we thought we should do it again. Instantly we decided on the Sex and the City movie, which Heather claims she invited me out to see when it was in the theater. I maintain since the words -- hey Shan, would you like to go to the movies with me this weekend to see Sex and the City -- never actually came out of her mouth it's not my fault I wasn't aware we had plans to see it. Any whoooo, we made an actual date to watch the dvd at my place and then I got the bright idea to invite some more friends.

Now as much as I talk about doing these sorts of things, I never actually do them for a whole lot of different reasons. I think I'm too shy. There's a hole in the bathroom wall. My living room floor needs to be refinished. My furniture needs to be replaced. You know, the usual stuff we all deal with. This time I just took a deep breath and jumped right in.

Once I had done that -- in my head -- then I agonized over to who to actually invite. I have mentioned before that I have more girlfriends now than I ever have at any other point in my life. Which is great, but a lot of these are kind of new relationships and much like when you first begin dating someone it's all a big riddle. How do they really feel about me? Maybe they won't want to come and watch a dvd in their jammies with me. How will I handle the rejection? Maybe I like them more than they like me. Also, a night like this needs the right mix of people to be successful and I was going to be inviting people from different areas of my life. How would they all get along? And other such thoughts that would keep me awake at night (which was a nice break from the usual stuff that keeps me awake). In the end I closed my eyes and started clicking names to invite. Then I hyperventilated until last night.

And somehow I ended up with a pretty terrific mix of people --

There was my Robin, the ultimate #1 best friend. Who is involved in every area of my life. She is wickedly funny and loves all my friends as her own as soon as she meets them.

As luck would have it Auntie Yoli was able to hang out for a brief moment. Auntie Yoli makes her own fun wherever she goes and can totally hold her own in any group. She is also wickedly funny.

Then there was Heather, from my work life. She can trick you by being all quiet and coy in the beginning, but when you least expect it she will make you laugh harder than you ever thought you could. She's also a notorious facebook creeper so she probably "knew" all my friends before she got there.

And lets not forget Normie, The Mommy Project. Someone who had best friend material written all over her as soon as I (eventually) met her. I mean she'd only been across the street right under my nose for 5 years, my fellow Martha Stewart wanna be. She is also wickedly funny.

And then there was Jen. We've been neighbours for 100 years or so. I have always admired Jen for the supermom that she is and wondered how she did it all. In the past year or so there's been a definite shift in our relationship that's brought us beyond friendly neighbours. She is, most certainly, wickedly funny.

And that leaves Mary-Lynne, someone else I've known for a very long time, but our relationship as well has become something more than what it was. I'm not even sure when and how it happened. Is she wickedly funny too? Oh yes. Yes, she is.

Notice a trend? I like to roll with wickedly funny people. So, did we laugh last night -- you bet we did. We drank Cosmopolitan-like punch -- thanks to me. We drank actual Cosmos from martini glasses -- thanks to Normie. Who unfortunately had to bail early since Baby Colie was needing her Mama. We all enjoyed the movie even those who hadn't seen the show before. We enjoyed a buffet of snacks including I love you peanut butter chip cookies like the one Miranda got from a boyfriend on the show. I also tried to make some miniature wedding cakes that crumbled during the icing process. It was a really great night with really great friends that I didn't take a picture of. Total blogger fail. Oh well, there's always next month.

What shall we watch then?

4 comments:

Julie said...

That sounds like such an incredible evening. My friends and I are tryung to get together for a Rock Band evening. I love having girls nights. They don't happen nearly enough, do they?

Mommy Project said...

As a wanna-be photographer and fellow blogger...where was ~my~ camera? Shameful! But, I had such a great time meeting all the other chicks you roll with, Shan. It ~was~ a great mix (and I'll never forget Heather's "Tutus and Tiaras"...or whatever that show is called...impression! Hilarious!!). Thanks for inviting me. :)
xo.

Leah said...

Sounds fantastic!! My two girl cousins and a random mix of 2-3 other girls (as they were available) were doing "girls nights" about once a month. Same thing: comfy clothes, good movie, junk food and good drinks we don't normally "allow" ourselves to consume. Then the one cousin moved an hour+ away and the other one got a job as a flight attendant and we haven't done a girl's night since before Christmas. You're making me miss it a little extra, reading about your good time!

Shan said...

Julie - Rockband would be fun too! And girls nights are the best!

MP - Yeah! Where was yours too. We'll have to do better next month. So glad you came.

Leah - aww that's too bad you haven't had a girls night in a while. You know you're always invited here if you could take the commute.