Friday, April 10, 2009

friday high five - food network

I watch a lot of the Food Network. Luckily Mike is willing to indulge me. More so then my second addiction which is HGTV. I've picked up a lot watching chefs and cooks a like on television and for this week's Friday High Five (hosted by Angela's Adventures and Minor Mishaps) I'm going share the five best things I've learned from The Food Network.

1. Always use fresh ground pepper. You never see them grab a pepper shaker on a cooking show. It's always fresh ground. Usually with those huge honking wooden ones. There's probably a good reason for that too, but I make do with my cheap acrylic one.

2. Invest in good knives. Or at least one good knife. I've always had cheap knives that you can pick up at WalMart or wherever. I thought they were fine. I didn't think it made a difference. I was seriously wrong. I recently got a set of good knives as a bonus with the addition of my KitchenAid mixer. Wow. There is really no comparison. It makes every little chopping job a trillion times easier.

3. Spring loaded tongs! After a while I began to notice that almost every chef on every show uses those spring loaded tongs. So I picked up a pair at the dollar store and then wondered how I'd ever lived with out them. I now have three pairs, but could do with two or three more. They are definitely the kitchen utensil I have in my hands the most.

4. This one comes from Rachael Ray, who isn't one of my favourites, but it's still a kick ass idea -- a garbage bowl. We have an organics program in our area, so our compostable materials goes into a seperate garbage can. Having a garbage bowl on the counter while I'm cooking makes it a lot easier to keep our compostables seperate from the landfill garbage.

5. And finally -- owning a diner looks like it could be a whole lot of fun. And my Michael even agrees. Who knows, maybe one day.

And before I go I have to correct a little mistake I made in yesterday's Thankful Thursday. I forgot to mention that -- I am so thankful that Auntie Yoli surprised me at work Thursday afternoon. And I am not even embarrassed to tell you I squealed like a tweleve year old girl at a Jonas Brothers concert when I saw her. It was only a quick little mini visit, but it was good enough when you figure how it's been since I've seen her. Loving you Yoles!

10 comments:

Mommy Project said...

Yes. The garbage bowl idea. That ~is~ a really good one, isn't it? I got that from RR, too, and I always use one now as well.

I also say "evoo" (a la RR) and I pronounce my spices differently just for kicks (pap-ree-ka, or-e-gone-o, baaa-zil) bc of Jamie and Roger Mooking. Ya, I watch way too much Food Network. :)

Julie said...

I miss the FOod Network soo mcuh! Lopve the garbage bowl. I do it too. I think I miss the Iron Chef the most. And I agree about the knives. We received a good set last year and they ROCK!

Angela said...

I keep seeing the garbage bowl but never remember to do it! Thanks for the reminder! I didn't know spring loaded tongs existed but I will venture out and try them along with some good knifes. I need new knives anyway plus I need more spoons. It is like spoons just disappear ~ where do they go?

Chantal said...

Those spring loaded tongs are the best. I was recently at a store and I saw an official "rachel Ray" garbage blow (exactly like hers) for $30 bucks. I couldn't get over it. Of course I stole her idea but I just use one of my own bowls. It really does make clean up easier.

Chantal said...

I meant garbage bowl, not garbage blow (blushing), sorry.

FaithChick said...

I am a major food network junky but unfortuately Tim does not share in my addiction. Good thing we have two TVs.

Leah said...

I don't have advanced enough cable to be able to see the Food Network, but I hear good things!

A Crafty Mom said...

LOVE food network TV!!! It's awesome :) Fresh ground pepper is the best, I use it on everything!! And I agree on the good knives - we got a set for our wedding and they changed the way I cook. I'm still waiting for my KitchenAid mixer though . . . don't know some days how I live without it.

Mamí♥Picture said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mamí♥Picture said...

Great High Five! I am going to try that garbage bowl, sounds like a great idea...